Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Won't Use Correct Audio Device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've always had my laptop connected via HDMI to my Samsung TV, which Windows recognized as an audio device with no issues. With Eden whatever Playback Device I chose with Windows would be the one XBMC would use, namely either laptop speakers or TV speakers (I switch back and forth).

Since the upgrade to Frodo, XBMC refuses to use the TV speakers, even if I switch to them. All windows sounds and IM notifications etc sound through the TV, but XBMC videos still use the laptop speakers. I tried forcing it by DISABLING the laptop speakers audio device.... and then XBMC started using the TV speakers. The instant I reenable the laptop speakers, XBMC returns to using them.

In the Audio Output settings I only see 3 options, Analog, HDMI or Coax. HDMI and Coax both make videos play incredibly choppy and without sound. Analog is the only thing that works.

Am I missing an option somewhere or may this be a bug?

Windows 7 64
Frodo RC3
use HDMI, make sure to disable the options that your tv doesn't support (DTS-HD, TrueHD) and possible DTS and AC3.

Also, are you using Wasapi or Directsound?
(2013-01-08, 04:55)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]use HDMI, make sure to disable the options that your tv doesn't support (DTS-HD, TrueHD) and possible DTS and AC3.

Also, are you using Wasapi or Directsound?

Ok, disabling the DTS option made me able to use HDMI or Optical/Coax without the choppy playback and no sound.... but the audio is still coming from the laptop speakers no matter what, unless I disable the playback device entirely.

Oh, wait, I'm such a moron... I just realized that Frodo now has more options in the Audio output screen, I had not noticed you can scroll down.

I can choose the audio output device directly from XBMC now, I see, and choosing the Samsung TV there does make it sound... but this poses a new problem, since I used an AHK script to switch between laptop speakers and TV speakers... does this mean XBMC will ALWAYS use the device specified there, no matter what? Is there anyway to disable that so I can choose the speakers to use without having to go to the settings screen?