Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hardware Recomendation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all-

My current setup is a ReadyNas that stores my movies and an atv2 that runs xbmc hooked up to my tv. The setup works great for me. I'm helping a friend get setup, and need some advice. He has a Synology ds413j and is looking for a recommendation on a media player for his tv. As much as I like atv, the new ones that you can buy won't yet run xbmc :-(. So I'm looking for some guidance on what options I have. Here is what I've come up with so far:
1- Get a plex device like a Roku2. I'm not a huge fan, because of the possible transcoding issues, and I quite like xbmc and all the plugins.
2- Get a Pivos and run the Linux xbmc image. I'm a little concerned how stable the platform will be for a non-techie owner
3- htpc. I have ruled this out based on cost and maintenance complexity for the owner
4- Airplay to atv3 from Synology. The new beta version of dsm 4.2 has a feature that will allow you to AirPlay from the nas to an airplay device using there control app. While I don't get the nice on screen media interface I do get the ability to AirPlay to my tv which I use all the time on my atv2. If I went this route I could also hope that xbmc becomes available in the next few weeks/months...
5- DLNA device. Perhaps something like a WD live player or something? The lack of any decent user interface, and possible playback issues makes me shy away from this option.

Thoughts, other suggestions, recommendations?

I figure I'll give this a quick bump to see if anyone has any thoughts.
Unfortunately it's hard to be very helpful without a defined budget. I have years of experience building/setting up xbmc "appliances" for non-techie friends/family and of all the available options I would recommend some type of mini-pc with an atom + ION combo (look used on craigslist or ebay for a deal). Throw openelec on it if you're feeling lazy, or build something a little more robust with the distro of your choice and something like monit to restart xbmc in the event of a crash (openelec still does not do this, and fails miserably as an appliance because of it!) I own a pivos xios ds and the current nightlies are showing promise but are definitely not ready for the masses. It also has some pretty terrible GUI lag with a large library. I have several ATV1 + crystalHD cards i built for less than $100 recently and with crystalbuntu they work pretty well, so that is an option, albeit still far worse than the mini-pc.
Is there a specific reason you arent listing the Raspberry Pi? I assume Pivos will become the better option once it matures, but for now, Im in the process of "upgrading" several friends and neighbors from PC to Rasberry pi, because its cheap, silent, tiny and using openelec, relatively bullet/idiot proof.
@Vertigo

Good addition. I have been doing a little more reading on Rasberry Pi and openelec since my post. I was a little concerned about the mpeg2 limitation. I suppose I should scan my library and see how big of a deal it might actually be. I do have a few questions about the Pi maybe you could answer:
1- how responsive is the menu?
2- Is openelec have better driver support than xbmclive? I had issues getting audio right on my zotac.
3- what do you recommend as a remote for use with a Pi?
4- how well does AirPlay support work for common iphone apps (music, pandora, YouTube, etc..)

Thanks!
(2013-01-14, 16:02)cpmiller22 Wrote: [ -> ]@Vertigo

Good addition. I have been doing a little more reading on Rasberry Pi and openelec since my post. I was a little concerned about the mpeg2 limitation.

You can purchase an mpeg2 license from raspberry foundation. Its less than 3 euro:
http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

That will enable mpeg2 hardware decoding. Frankly, Im not even sure you need it, while testing my brothers Pi, it played every file I tried without any extra codecs. Im guessing the Pi can do DVD (SD) quality mpeg2 in software, but dont quote me on that. For the record, Im still waiting for my own Pi, so my hands on experience is limited to one day testing my brothers.

Quote: I suppose I should scan my library and see how big of a deal it might actually be. I do have a few questions about the Pi maybe you could answer:
1- how responsive is the menu?

With the default skin, pretty responsive in general. The only time I notice slight lag is when browsing video library with DVD cases flipping animation. Its not so slow that its frustrating, but you do notice its not completely butter smooth either. I found it quite acceptable, but YMMV. Here is one in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yh4Z5cUS9U
note that its overclocked, but you get the idea.

Quote:2- Is openelec have better driver support than xbmclive? I had issues getting audio right on my zotac.

Ive run openelec on 3 x86 boxes and the raspberry pi with zero serious problems. Why dont you try? That said, the pi is a very specific platform, and they are all the same, so its not likely you will get bitten by amd/nvidia/intel driver issues.

As for sound, keep in mind the Pi will do HDMI (DD, DTS, etc) or analog stereo only. No SPDIF.

Quote:3- what do you recommend as a remote for use with a Pi?

Whatever you like. If your TV supports HDMI CEC, you might just use that (unlike any x86 boxes Im aware off, the Pi supports HDMI CEC). Although you may have to fiddle with the settings to make it work properly, Im not sure as my TV only supports ON/OFF.
A cheap MCE remote should work just fine, but I use a Harmony remote myself, since I also have a AVR and cable box to cope with. And obviously I use Yatse on my android.

Quote:4- how well does AirPlay support work for common iphone apps (music, pandora, YouTube, etc..)

Havent tested that, sorry, I dont have anything Apple. uPnP works just fine though, so I can send youtube or music from my phone with Bubble UPnP.

I have been following several discussion on here about the best xbmc box and it seems an overwhelming majority opinion is a cheap HTPC is s far far better option than any of the available compatible boxes out there including the pi.

Put any OS on a cheap HTPC and you can get it to behave like an appliance for a family friendly experience. The key will be your remote control set up.

I use a software with my windows XBMC called Intelliremote. It allows you to configure any IR or Bluetooth remote with your HTPC for not just XBMC but also other programs on the HTPC.

I use tivo slide qwerty bluetooth remote which also controls my tv and speakers so I am pretty happy with it. It is a bit expensive setup but it is worth saving yourself the headache of xbmc crashing on you or certain things not working if you are using any of the android or linux appliances out there.

I am sure in time, they will be more stable... I have personally only used atv2 a little bit and I think thats not a really bad option either.

(2013-01-14, 18:06)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Put any OS on a cheap HTPC and you can get it to behave like an appliance for a family friendly experience.

Please tell me how I can shrink a cheap HTPC so it fits in the palm of my hand, consumes ~3W while running, makes no noise at all, and how to shrink the price tag to ~$35 Smile Sure, a (HT)PC will be faster, and more versatile, but whether that makes it the better choice just depends on what you need.

As for headaches and crashes. if anything you will have more of those on x86 boxes with their myriad of hardware configurations and proprietary drivers. For hardware reliability Id also have more faith in the something as simple and low power as the Pi than a full fledged PC with a ton of dust collecting fans. Android is a different story, XBMC for Android just is not not mature enough yet, but the linux distro's for Raspberry seem pretty solid from what Ive seen.
(2013-01-14, 18:19)Vertigo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-14, 18:06)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Put any OS on a cheap HTPC and you can get it to behave like an appliance for a family friendly experience.

Please tell me how I can shrink a cheap HTPC so it fits in the palm of my hand, consumes ~3W while running, makes no noise at all, and how to shrink the price tag to ~$35 Smile Sure, a (HT)PC will be faster, and more versatile, but whether that makes it the better choice just depends on what you need.

As for headaches and crashes. if anything you will have more of those on x86 boxes with their myriad of hardware configurations and proprietary drivers. For hardware reliability Id also have more faith in the something as simple and low power as the Pi than a full fledged PC with a ton of dust collecting fans. Android is a different story, XBMC for Android just is not not mature enough yet, but the linux distro's for Raspberry seem pretty solid from what Ive seen.

You are right.. it depends on what you want to get out of it. Most people I know use XBMC for watching movies from personal libraries and that includes dvd rips, blu ray rips, etc. Pi is not best suited for those needs.

If you just want a media streamer, I am sure PI is great.
(2013-01-14, 19:03)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]You are right.. it depends on what you want to get out of it. Most people I know use XBMC for watching movies from personal libraries and that includes dvd rips, blu ray rips, etc. Pi is not best suited for those needs.

How so?
The Pi will decode 1080p h.264 @50Mbit. IOW, in excess of Bluray specs.

There are use cases where its not suitable, like when you dont have a DTS capable AVR and yet you do want digital 5.1 sound from DTS track. Or if you need SPDIF rather than HDMI audio (though a splitter could solve that, even if costs more than the Pi itselve). Or if you really need DTS-MA. But just watching your typical dvd/bluray rips with HDMI passthrough audio is what the Pi does best.

If the Pi can run the GUI without any noticeable lag, then I'd have to agree with Vertigo that it sounds like a hard to beat option. After researching quite a bit over the last several days I'm leaning towards either getting and atv3 and hoping for a jailbreak, or getting a pi and running openelec.

Another question for Pi users. What do you suggest for a remote control? Of course xbmc constellation is nice, but for wife/kids a physical remote is nicer. The main option I've seen is the flirc which at $23 ups the total system cost. I'm guessing I'll end up with about 3-4 TV's that I'll want to stream from so I'm hoping to keep the per room cost under $100.
(2013-01-14, 21:13)cpmiller22 Wrote: [ -> ]If the Pi can run the GUI without any noticeable lag, then I'd have to agree with Vertigo that it sounds like a hard to beat option. After researching quite a bit over the last several days I'm leaning towards either getting and atv3 and hoping for a jailbreak, or getting a pi and running openelec.

Another question for Pi users. What do you suggest for a remote control? Of course xbmc constellation is nice, but for wife/kids a physical remote is nicer. The main option I've seen is the flirc which at $23 ups the total system cost. I'm guessing I'll end up with about 3-4 TV's that I'll want to stream from so I'm hoping to keep the per room cost under $100.

As I said already, if your tvs support HDMI CEC, you may not need another remote, nor receiver. Just use your TVs existing remote, and the commands are sent over the HDMI cable. If you dont know what Im talking about, look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWTKYHQpm1E

Or check Pulse-eight website, but keep in mind the Pi does that without needing the pulse-eight adapter. You may not have access to all XBMC shortcuts, but the most important ones should be there.

If you want or need another physical remote, you can buy MCE remotes (and USB IR receivers) for next to nothing. Like here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-USB-Windows-X...53efe4ce52

Thanks. I'll have to check and see if any of the TV's are cec enabled. I didn't realize you could get an mce remote for so cheap either. Thanks for the link!
(2013-01-14, 21:34)cpmiller22 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I'll have to check and see if any of the TV's are cec enabled. I didn't realize you could get an mce remote for so cheap either. Thanks for the link!

HDMI CEC comes in a lot of different brand names. From wikipedia:
Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi)

I wouldnt bet too much on it working properly, but since its "free" and already integrated in OpenELEC, its certainly worth a shot. You can always buy a remote/receiver later on if need be.
Does anyone have experience with some of the other Android Devices that are coming on the market such as the mk808 and the ug802? I personally prefer wired vs wifi for xbmc, but was wondering if anyone could comment on the performance of xbmc on those android devices. All the reviews on android I've read say its a bit laggy.
Pages: 1 2