Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Enhanced user-friendliness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A common property of media players is that they show lists of files that you can choose from. Some people have problems with that, in particular elderly or mentally handicapped people.

Is it possible to configure xbmc, using a skin or add-on or whatever, so that it does not show files, but 'things to play' instead?
For example, the file "The Hobbit.avi" is a playable item "The Hobbit". The file combination "The Hobbit.avi" + "The Hobbit.srt" is one single playable item. A folder "The Hobbit" containing "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" folders is a playable item. Selecting this item should not decend into the folder, but start playing the DVD-image. I hope you get the idea.

Optionally, a (hand crafted) small description file in a folder could instruct xbmc to treat the folder as a playable item.

Does such an add-on exist? Do you know other ways to obtain this simplified but very user friendly behaviour?
You don't need a plugin. Once you have scanned via the movie (or tv) scraper, what you describe is exactly what you get. Even in file mode .srt files won't be shown in the xbmc gui because it is not a video file.
Thanks for the information. I did several attempts with scrapers and .nfo files but the only results I get so far is that the movies that are found by the scraper are added to the "Movie" category of the library. Somehow .nfo files are not processed (I tried all variants -- movie.nfo, moviename.nfo and <filename>.nfo).

It seems to be not possible to update the database info without running a scraper, I think what I want is a scraper that *only* processes .nfo files.
With rare exceptions, you shouldn't even need .nfo files for movies. However, if you are intent on using them, then read this wiki article to learn how to use them properly: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...rt_library
(2013-01-14, 11:09)sciurius Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the information. I did several attempts with scrapers and .nfo files but the only results I get so far is that the movies that are found by the scraper are added to the "Movie" category of the library. Somehow .nfo files are not processed (I tried all variants -- movie.nfo, moviename.nfo and <filename>.nfo).

It seems to be not possible to update the database info without running a scraper, I think what I want is a scraper that *only* processes .nfo files.

Do you use nfo files containing data as described in
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...g_XML_data

At least that works for me.
(2013-01-14, 11:15)humpe Wrote: [ -> ]Do you use nfo files containing data as described in

Yes, although I do not enter all the possible data, mainly the movie title and the file name.

For example:

Movies/Sintel.nfo
Movies/Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.nfo
Movies/Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.mp4
Movies/Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.srt
Movies/Sintel/movie.nfo
Movies/Sintel/moviename.nfo

Sintel.info:
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel MovieNameFolder</title>
  <filenameandpath>Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.mp4</filenameandpath>
</movie>

Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.nfo
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel MovieName</title>
  <filenameandpath>Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.mp4</filenameandpath>
</movie>

movie.nfo:
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel Movie</title>
</movie>

movieinfo.nfo:
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel MovieInfo</title>
</movie>

None of the .nfo files seem to be taken into account, and the movie Sintel does not appear in the library.

So apprently I must be overlooking something trivial.
Hi sciurius,

best practice is to have movies in separate folders - name of folder is name of movie.

Inside that folder you should have nfo titled same as movie...

Code:
<title>Alice in Wonderland</title>

like this:
Code:
folder:  /media/movies/Alice in Wonderland
file:   /media/movies/Alice in Wonderland/Alice in Wonderland.mkv
nfo:   /media/movies/Alice in Wonderland/Alice in Wonderland.nfo

Hope this helps
(2013-01-14, 13:56)sciurius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-14, 11:15)humpe Wrote: [ -> ]Do you use nfo files containing data as described in

Yes, although I do not enter all the possible data, mainly the movie title and the file name.

For example:

Movies/Sintel.nfo
Movies/Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.nfo
Movies/Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.mp4
Movies/Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.srt
Movies/Sintel/movie.nfo
Movies/Sintel/moviename.nfo

Sintel.info:
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel MovieNameFolder</title>
  <filenameandpath>Sintel/Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.mp4</filenameandpath>
</movie>

Sintel.2010.720p.x264-VODO.nfo
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel MovieName</title>
</movie>

movie.nfo:
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel Movie</title>
</movie>

movieinfo.nfo:
Code:
<movie>
  <title>Sintel MovieInfo</title>
</movie>

None of the .nfo files seem to be taken into account, and the movie Sintel does not appear in the library.

So apprently I must be overlooking something trivial.

If you have each movie in a separate folder with a name matching the movie title, you should mark that option when setting the content. You should have the NFO file inside the folder for the movie and it should be named movie.nfo or have the same name as the movie file. movie.nfo has the highest precedence according to http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...g_XML_data . I ran a number of quick tests and they all confirmed that it works. If if still does not work, turn on debugging and check if you can find entries like:

05:50:27 T:1704 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Scanning dir 'G:\test\movies\Big Fish (2003)\' as not in the database
05:50:28 T:1704 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Found matching Full NFO file: G:\test\movies\Big Fish (2003)\movie.nfo
05:50:28 T:1704 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Adding new item to movies:G:\test\movies\Big Fish (2003)\Big Fish (DVD).mkv