Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple TV 2 V Raspberry Pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

I'm deciding on which to get:

with the raspberry Pi model b rev 2 is there a need for the MPEG-2 License? I'm only looking to stream some live TV, would you recommend I'd rather get the apple tv or raspberry Pi?

Regards
Well the first question is what codec your Live TV stream uses. If you are in North America or Australia, it's probably mpeg2. Europe, NZ, it may be h.264 - you will need to let us know.

If you want to watch mpeg2 you probably need the codec, but it is hardly expensive! Some SD mpeg2 stuff may be playable without hardware support, but HD will almost certainly need the codec.
I'm not sure I would recommend either for live TV right now, but the Pi should be able to do it once some bugs are fixed.
I have both.

I think you should be fine on both. I like the ATV2 as I find it looks better and is more stable. However the Pi is faster and more powerful.

However I find that the Pi still has a few bugs to work out as said by Ned. They are working hard on it but I don't use it all the time. The ATV2 works just fine for me.
(2013-01-12, 11:28)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I would recommend either for live TV right now, but the Pi should be able to do it once some bugs are fixed.

Which one would you recommend would be better for me to purchase?

Regards.
Neither. HD Live TV will most likely fail on the ATV2 (most live TV uses Mpeg2), and R-Pi has some weird issues right now. So it would be maybe Pi, but definitely not the ATV2.

Pivos XIOS DS, while also still in development, can be had for around $100 and should have no issues with live TV. It's also a lot more powerful than either the ATV2 or the R-Pi.
I have a couple ATV's and an HDhomerun. The only way your going to get full screen TV video is if your watching recordings or using airplay on a Mac computer. To watch live TV with out mac you'll need an I pad or iPhone to AirPlay from (will not be full screen). Prerecorded video can be accessed from computer and viewed fill screen. Another option is using AirParrit for windows and airplay live TV from windows.

Just to be clear you will not be able to access a tuner directly with an Apple TV.

I've just ordered a couple RBP's to play with and I just stumbled accross this discussion looking for some thing to do with them when they get here.
I'm about to replace my 3 AppleTV 2's in favour to the raspberrys.

I'm using XBMC mostly for watching movies and there is the rbp in advantage. The hardware decoding makes it possible to watch blu rays and HD Live TV (if the current bug is fixed).

Another advantage is that the rbp has the ability to use your tv remote as input device and the rbp can be powered by a usb port from your tv so xbmc will automatically start with your tv and xbmc will power off your tv on exit (hdmi cec).
I think you should also have a look at this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152339
(2013-01-17, 10:34)regnets Wrote: [ -> ]...and the rbp can be powered by a usb port from your tv so xbmc will automatically start with your tv and xbmc will power off your tv on exit (hdmi cec).

Watch just cutting the power by turning the TV off - you will eventually corrupt your filesystem.
If CEC works for you, and sends a proper shutdown signal to the pi, and keeps power on to the pi for enough time for the disk cache to be flushed, it should be OK. Those are unknowns to me, and may depend on the TV. I have heard that some of them actually leave power on the USB port for quite a decent time after you push the "power" button on the remote and the tv looks "off".
I think my tv just does a hard power off without any time for the rbp to flush the disk cache but it works for the last 2 months.