Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Will a Aopen DE45PRO do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greeting from a absolutely Newbie!
I have been playing around with Ubuntu and XMBC for the first time today - nearly successfully :-)

Case:
I have a HP server (Win7) in my basement that holds some 10TB of MKV's - this is wired to a Cisco router. To this router is also wired 2 Popcorn Hours NMT - one in my living room, and one in my oldest sons room.
Now my youngest son wants a media-player in his room - so what to do?

I did stumble over a leftover AOpen DE45PRO at work, so I brought this home yesterday - and started my adventure with Linux.
First I did install Ubuntu 10.04 -and ran a update after the installation, and there after a XBMC installation, and did a update check, all worked - piece off cake :-)

There is just one little issue - when XBMC plays a 10GB 1080i MKV it lags/stutters just a bit - is this because my hardware isn't up to the job?

Hardware:
AOpen DE45PRO
CPU: Intel T1600
GPU: Intel GM45
RAM: 1GB
XBMC 11.0
Network: Wired GB LAN

Cheers - and thanks in advance

The GMA45 can do vaapi and decode 1080p - but the installation involves a lot of building from git, as the g45 h264 branch is pretty new.

It can be made working, but involves a bit of work :-)

Reference: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/li...00632.html

I think 2GB of RAM won't harm.

You have to upgrade your Ubuntu OS to the newest you can find (it makes building from GIT easier). For good vaapi experience I also suggest you use the upcomming frodo release.
(2013-01-12, 18:13)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]The GMA45 can do vaapi and decode 1080p - but the installation involves a lot of building from git, as the g45 h264 branch is pretty new.

It can be made working, but involves a bit of work :-)

Reference: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/li...00632.html

I think 2GB of RAM won't harm.

You have to upgrade your Ubuntu OS to the newest you can find (it makes building from GIT easier). For good vaapi experience I also suggest you use the upcomming frodo release.

Wow - prompt reply, thanks "fritsch" :-)

I don't mind a bit of working!

I did stick to Ubuntu 10.04 - because one of our "Wizards" at work did mention something about "10.04 it stable" - but Ill update to 12.XX right away!

- and have a look at your "reference"!

Thanks!
@Malmber:
Your wizzard is not that wrong. It works and it is stable since a long time now - but you really need the latest and greatest to your g45 working. You are finished when the output of vainfo looks like:
Code:
VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Baseline           :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
Well -I have cheated :-)
I fuxx-up my installation during a upgrade - so I started from scratch, installing 12.04.
And, during this, I figured out that I just should install the GM45 driver -AND I was done!!!!
Large 1080i mkv's playing fine - at least it seem like :-)
I'll check if its so easy! - and I just love Ubuntu :-)
@Malmberg:
I am not that sure - can you give me the output of vainfo?
@fritsch:-
Strange, I posted a reply minutes ago, but it vanished :-) - so here I go again!

You might be right - vainfo looks like this:
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD

But - I can play quite large files without any hiccups,
eg: type: mkv - size:10GB file - bitrate:9-11Mbit - over 100Mb LAN
Yeah - you only get mpeg-2 decoded on the GPU.

Let the 100 Mbit/s be your last limit :-) and get your h264 on the GPU working.
@fritsch:

OK, now I have spend quite some time looking at this: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/li...00632.html - and must admit I have no clue what I'm supposed to do :-), remember my Linux experience is only some days old!
Cheers