Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding Anime separate from TV Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have some anime in a separate directory from my Movies and TV Shows. I downloaded the anidb.net scraper addon, set up all my anime with the right folder scheme and everything but there doesn't seem to be an option to add it as anything but TV Shows (or Movie or Music Video obviously). Sorry if this has been asked and answered but is it possible to add them as a separate category? I looked around and couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm using Aeon MQ4 and I added ANIME as a separate menu item. I figured out a way to create a favourite and load only my Anime there, but it is still all under TV Shows as well. Is it possible to keep it all separate?

Thanks!
In Aeon go and make it so the default TV Shows button doesn't show up. Make a smart playlist (wiki) where it includes everything except the anime (you can use path, since anime is in a separate source). Then make Aeon use this smart playlist as your new "TV Shows" menu.

Basically, TV Shows will always be "show all shows/series content" and Movies will always be "show all movies/individual videos" for the library.
(2013-01-13, 09:44)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]In Aeon go and make it so the default TV Shows button doesn't show up. Make a smart playlist (wiki) where it includes everything except the anime (you can use path, since anime is in a separate source). Then make Aeon use this smart playlist as your new "TV Shows" menu.

Basically, TV Shows will always be "show all shows/series content" and Movies will always be "show all movies/individual videos" for the library.

Sorry to revisit such an old post, but I'm looking to a solution to this and I'm having a number of problems.

First since there's no way to add more than 1 library object for a type of media like on for example Plex where you can easily add Anime and Regular TV Shows items, you're stuck with smart playlist.

But it works the same you say. Not quite.

Since Gotham the developers decided to remove the scan for new content option for smart playlist because according to them, they couldn't think of a scenario where someone would need that...

So if you want to have a custom menu item for TV Shows and one for Anime, you still need to keep around the regular TV Shows tab with everything mixed in if you want to scan for new content on the fly.

But why don't you use Watchdog and update the library automatically and problem solved? Oh I'd love to do that, except that after numerous testing I've found that it breaks the ability to download subtitles (or if it manages to work it's massively slower), so you have to choose between auto updates or the ability to download subs and I need the subs.

So to sum up, because of the way Kodi currently handles this, there's no way for me to get TV Shows and Anime separated from each other, without having to have a third menu with all the shows in, which is the one I need to use to update said shows manually and then go back to the smart libraries (which kinda defeats the point) or forego downloading subtitles. It almost makes you want to pull your hair out.

I only put up with it, because I like the amount of skins and last time I looked Plex had really terrible support for downloading subtitles, but I think I'm very close to having to seriously look for alternatives. Every new release it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
I have no idea why Watchdog would break automatic subdownload (or any library update process). That seems to be the real issue here, and if you can give some more details, I'd be happy to try and help with that.

For creating library "objects", what you're looking for is basically video nodes (wiki). This allows you to edit the default filters (which are actually smart playlists. Yep, everyone has been using smart playlists all along, customizations or not.) using either paths, video tags (wiki), or whatever else you want to use to mark something as "anime" or not.

As far as breaking scan-for-new-content on playlists, it was never decided to remove it. It's just that no one knows how it worked in the first place, because it was never intended to work that way. If someone could figure it out, I'm sure our devs would at least consider including the ability back in, but so far no one has cracked that nut yet.
Wow, way to Necro a thread....

But to help you out, and I've seen so many of these types of posts, what you need to do is label the media with the correct Genre (use a Media Scrapper program like MediaElch). This allows you to Create Genre's for anything (Anime, Martial Arts, Cartoons, etc).

Once you have assigned your shows the correct Genre, then using a Skin that allows you to select a Genre for a Main Menu item (Like ACE or AEON MQ5), you can select your Genre, and only those items will be displayed.

This is how I separate 'New TV Shows' for the Wife, and 'Cartoons' for my Boy, with Main Menu items for easy access for them.

This is also why you should Scrape your Movies and TV Shows with a Media Scrapper (I use MediaElch personally) before adding them to your library. As relying on XBMC\Kodi to do this, wont give you these kinds of options, and you would have to create Smart Playlists, which as you've found out, don't work the best.

Hope this helps.
(2015-01-20, 07:53)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea why Watchdog would break automatic subdownload (or any library update process). That seems to be the real issue here, and if you can give some more details, I'd be happy to try and help with that.

For creating library "objects", what you're looking for is basically video nodes (wiki). This allows you to edit the default filters (which are actually smart playlists. Yep, everyone has been using smart playlists all along, customizations or not.) using either paths, video tags (wiki), or whatever else you want to use to mark something as "anime" or not.

As far as breaking scan-for-new-content on playlists, it was never decided to remove it. It's just that no one knows how it worked in the first place, because it was never intended to work that way. If someone could figure it out, I'm sure our devs would at least consider including the ability back in, but so far no one has cracked that nut yet.

Thanks for the offer to look into why Watchdog is breaking downloading subtitles. This has happened since the new way was implemented (I think in Gotham). If Watchdog is on and you try to download a subtitle the subtitle plugin will either throw an error after a while, get stuck, tell you there are no subtitles available or finally show the ones available after a 10 or 20 seconds. Without it, it instantly shows the available subtitles for the show. I suspect the problem has to do with the fact I have my media files on a NAS and something there is causing some incompatibilities. Also with Helix, Kodi has been much slower in spinning up disks that have gone to sleep. Sometimes I have to manually spin them up on my web console so it can start a video or a content update.

But I don't know how to go about providing more info. Post the logs?

As for the scan for contents, whether the devs knew how it worked or not, the fact was that it did indeed work. And now it's not there anymore because it was never meant to be supported.

(2015-01-20, 07:56)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, way to Necro a thread....

But to help you out, and I've seen so many of these types of posts, what you need to do is label the media with the correct Genre (use a Media Scrapper program like MediaElch). This allows you to Create Genre's for anything (Anime, Martial Arts, Cartoons, etc).

Once you have assigned your shows the correct Genre, then using a Skin that allows you to select a Genre for a Main Menu item (Like ACE or AEON MQ5), you can select your Genre, and only those items will be displayed.

This is how I separate 'New TV Shows' for the Wife, and 'Cartoons' for my Boy, with Main Menu items for easy access for them.

This is also why you should Scrape your Movies and TV Shows with a Media Scrapper (I use MediaElch personally) before adding them to your library. As relying on XBMC\Kodi to do this, wont give you these kinds of options, and you would have to create Smart Playlists, which as you've found out, don't work the best.

Hope this helps.

This is a pretty good idea. I will look into it. It's too bad that after all these years (and the competition successfully solving the problem years ago), it's still a hassle to separate anime from your regular TV shows.