Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First HTPC (passive cooling with HDPlex case)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking for opinions for my first HTPC. I currently have a Xtreamer Pro, which I use to stream files from the PC. The biggest problem with Xtreamer is it has very poor network connection. It can only utilize about 1/3 of my 100Mb LAN connection (I have 1Gb router but the Xtreamer does only support 100Mb). I get stuttering even with some medium bitrate MKV's. Secondly I could use a little bit nicer GUI Smile

The basic requirements are smooth playback over network and working HD-Audio.

I'm not completely sure do I need this passive case. It is a little bit pricey but some cheaper (but good looking) case + good psu (picoPSU?) + IR receiver wouldn't be that cheap either. The new system should be quiet and reasonably low power.

MB: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
RAM: 2x2GB 1866MHz
CPU: A6-5400K
CASE: HDPlex H5.Todd w/ 80W PSU and IR reciever
HDD: 64GB SSD (Crucial M4?)
(Possible Bluray drive in future)

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Make sure your MB is approved for the case which, BTW, is a nice case. You don't need as much memory/SSD if you go with XBMCBuntu or openelec. It depends on if you plan on using the HTPC for windows only duties.
The MB is approved so thats not an issue.

IMO you don't need a fanless system. You can build a system with an extremely silent system with some quiet fans that you won't hear over ambient room noise. Saying that, it is a beautiful case so if you are happy with the price then why not Smile

Specs are fine, I think you would be ok with the 80w PSU.