Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AE] Bitstream Audio under HD4000 Intel Core i3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello all,

I'm using a Intel Core i3 "Ivy" with HD4000.

DTS and Dolby works great. On DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD i'm just getting a crackling noise.

I've updated to Kernel 3.7.1 because of there should be some fixes but no help.

System Information:
root@MediaCenter:~# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k3.7.1-030701-generic.
root@MediaCenter:~# uname -a
Linux MediaCenter 3.7.1-030701-generic #201212171620 SMP Mon Dec 17 21:21:30 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Headless Ubuntu installation.
XBMC Frodo RC1
Board: Asus P8B75M-LE
Intel Core i3 3220T

Can anybody help?

regards,
Simon
You could start by pasting a debug log (use xbmclogs.com) when you try to play HD audio.
Hello,

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=28814

Here are The Logs. When Starting the Film there is only this noise.

On Line 700 in Log I'm Starting the Movie.

regards,
Simon
Does your amp support hd audio?
TrueHD is still a bit flaky, but I wonder if it might have something to do with your vaapi beeing broken and/or audio sync method.

first install libva1 and i965-va-driver, then (if you have) try to disable "sync playback to display".

Also try a DTS-MA file.
I'm a few weeks out of touch, just got back from a long holiday. Before I left hd audio on Linux with Intel required patching the kernel. It was rumoured they would make it into 3.7 has this actually happened?

Edit: Just read this which should improve things in the future HDA Intel Audio To Improve A Lot In Linux 3.9 Kernel
Hi,

I've just solved this problem.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...r_HD_Audio.

I have P8H77-i with both HDMI/SPDIF output.
I didn't understand the meaning of "blacklist module" in the wiki...

here is the trick :

vi /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
and add in the end : options snd_hda_codec_via index=-2

Reboot.

I also tried the second method of the wiki(HDA-Intel.conf), and as it says, every time alsa is updated, you need to reapply...
The best way is clearly blacklist the module, but don't forget that your SPDIF is disabled, if you need it later... ^^
Actually that didn't blacklist it, blacklisting would prevent it loading at all. What you have done is forced the correct parameters.
Agev,

I'm new to XBMC/Ubuntu so if you could help me out, that would be great. I'm getting a terrible buzz when I'm playing content with DTS-MA. I'm trying your fix but I'm not sure where to type vi /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. Do you do this in the command line under Ubuntu recovery mode?

To me that seems like the only thing I can get working properly. If I try to exit XBMC, my system just hangs, so my only work around is to reboot and go to recovery mode and do everything via command line.

thanks for your help.

Alan

(2013-02-19, 12:53)agev Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I've just solved this problem.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...r_HD_Audio.

I have P8H77-i with both HDMI/SPDIF output.
I didn't understand the meaning of "blacklist module" in the wiki...

here is the trick :

vi /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
and add in the end : options snd_hda_codec_via index=-2

Reboot.

I also tried the second method of the wiki(HDA-Intel.conf), and as it says, every time alsa is updated, you need to reapply...
The best way is clearly blacklist the module, but don't forget that your SPDIF is disabled, if you need it later... ^^
@nickr, yeah, i shouldn't use the same word as the wiki. And if you read it, it is not easy to understand what it means...

@aland, check that you have both hdmi/spdif on your motherboard.
In console :
Quote:lsmod | grep snd
find the line :
Quote:snd_hda_codec 88216 3 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel

find the module that drives your S/PDIF.(snd_hda_codec_via in my case)

With a text editor(vi,gedit or whatever), as root edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
and add the line
Quote:options snd_hda_codec_XXX index=-2
XXX = your module.
agev,

thanks for your help, I think I'm heading in the right direction but my problems aren't completely solved. So I found out with your help that my codec is realtek, so I made that change to the .conf file. This basically removes the Realtek SPDIF option in the audio output device and leaves really one option, the Intel HDA HDMI output device. This time when I play a movie with DTS-MA, I no longer get the crazy buzz sound, but I also don't get any sound at all. My receiver simply says, decoder off.

Do you think I have to apply that Intel HDA patch that's floating around? My linux kernel is 3.5.0.22, do I need to update this and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks again for your help.

Aland
you do need a kernel >=3.7
That's right Kernel 3.7 or higher...

I install Xbmc-ubuntu stable from the official site and upgrade to 13.04 (kernel 3.8 include)
I have a similiar issue, can anyone assist? xbmc.log

Unlike the OP I dont get any crackling, but absolutely nothing. The setup between XBMC and the receiver takes unusually long, eventually the receiver says TrueHD, but it stays silent. I have already tried setting index=-2 on my snd_hda_codec_realtek and rebooted but it doesnt help.

HW is HD2000 / Celeron 847 and receiver supports TrueHD fine. I will try to find a DTS-HD sample to try with aswell.
(2013-02-22, 20:03)odt_x Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similiar issue, can anyone assist? xbmc.log

Unlike the OP I dont get any crackling, but absolutely nothing. The setup between XBMC and the receiver takes unusually long, eventually the receiver says TrueHD, but it stays silent. I have already tried setting index=-2 on my snd_hda_codec_realtek and rebooted but it doesnt help.

HW is HD2000 / Celeron 847 and receiver supports TrueHD fine. I will try to find a DTS-HD sample to try with aswell.

Hi

I think I have the same problem as described in this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1390292

However I can not seem to get any sound working at all via HDMI when connected to the AVR.

I tried adding the line: snd_hda_codec_realtek index=-2 in to the alsa-base.conf file. I have tried blacklisting in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
both IEC958 and ALC892, I have tried editing the HDA-Intel.conf file as described in the Wiki page here

Nothing I do seems to get audio working over HDMI with my AVR. Can anyone please help ?

Code:
xbmc@xbmc01:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     32049  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek    78147  1
snd_hda_intel          33492  2
snd_hda_codec         134213  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              17699  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                96668  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi           13325  0
snd_rawmidi            30513  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event     14900  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                61555  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              29426  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device         14498  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    78921  13 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore              15048  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         18485  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Here is my Kernel version

uname -a
Linux xbmc01 3.5.0-25-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 25 18:26:58 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The Wiki says:

"HD Audio on Intel SandyBridge & IvyBridge systems require a patch from Intel to be included within the kernel, Linux 3.7 and higher include this patch as standard."

So my kernel is not the correct version ??

xbmc@xbmc01:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.10
Release: 12.10
Codename: quantal
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6