Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope it's OK if I ask 2 totally different questions in 1 post. ;-)

#1 Why do Mac and Linux have 64-bit support but not Windows?

#2 I've been testing out Plex (latest beta based on Frodo RC3) and really like the server/client model. All of the work is done on the server/NAS and it is built by default to have multi-room resume of movies/tv shows (don't think it's SQL though). Is there any chance of XBMC taking this client/server approach in a future version?
1. No one has done it yet

2. No. XBMC is lean enough to be both client and server, so there really isn't a point in making two different parts. Which is not to say that it won't be possible to do something like run XBMC in a "server mode" and allow it to be installed an a NAS and be headless, etc. That is certainly possible, but that would be very different than what Plex does from a development standpoint.
Yeah I'd have to agree that XBMC is very lean. I'm not sure how I'd install it on my Synology NAS though. Plex has a Synology package for download. The server does all the scanning of media and transcoding which I kind of like. I also don't have to screw with mySQL to synchronize libraries. However, I am a long time user and donor to XBMC and it has pluses over Plex that I can see. Not the least of which is XBMC is obviously always on the cutting edge and Plex is usually a development cycle behind. XBMC also has many skins and Plex barely has any and those that exist don't work properly. Other than that, it would be cool to see a Synology package for XBMC where I could install it on the server to manage my library from a central location instead of each HTPC having to scrape and keep track of watched status, etc.
MYSQL does what you want very simply.
I wouldn't call it simple.