Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Trouble getting audio to work via hdmi passthrough.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have xbmc 11.0 installed on ubuntu 12.04 x86. The computer is connected to Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver via hdmi from a GeForce 210.

If I have "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" and "DTS capable receiver" checked in audio output devices I get no audio in movies regardless of what is set for passthrough device. Menu audio works. If I uncheck the two boxes and set the speaker config to 5.1 then 5.1 audio works fine. But if the source is stereo it still plays on all 5 channels instead of the front two. If I change speaker config to 2.0 then stereo sources work but 5.1 sources are only played on two channels..

I followed this guide
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...e_Easy_Way
but that doesn't seem to help.

This is the result of aplay -l

xbmc@xbmc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

In the passthrough custom device I tried every combination of plughw:#,#. All the possible combinations of the custom name produces no sound without any error. I do get an error when it is set to plughw:1,7. This produces an error on the screen unable to start audio and then the menu sounds die. With every other plughw:## movies have no sound but menu sounds work.

When I run

aplay -D plughw:1,7 somewavfile.wav

I get this error.

aplay: main:682: audio open error: Device or resource busy

I am not sure if the problem with 1,7 is relevant. The motherboard also has on-board optical and analog stereo audio but nothing is plugged into to either port.

How can I set it up so the receiver handles the audio instead of xbmc?
Welcome to forums Wink

Eden IIRC has zero HD audio support and presuming the Nvidia 210 can at all do HD passthrough -> Try Frodo.

For Eden there's literally "ad nauseam" posts on this very matter )error/setup/solutions) and tbh one more is not going to help, so get searching!

uNi
No one said anything about hd audio. Eden supports passthrough of ac3 and dts.

Try a custom audio device like

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
I ended up upgrading to Frodo. I didn't have much time to mess around with it yet but what does the setting output to all speakers option do? It doesn't seem to be documented at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine
That description of yours doesnt happen to be:

Output stereo to all speakers and it does what it says.

It is documented in wiki on the OSD part anyway its added to audioEngine bit, until a better explanation is posted by some "expert"

uNi

FYI the Geforce 210 doesnt do HD-Audio.

Matt
(2013-01-16, 20:31)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]That description of yours doesnt happen to be:

Output stereo to all speakers and it does what it says.

I don't know why the Output stereo part wasn't clicking in my brain. I plan on messing around with it further once I get home from work.

(2013-01-16, 21:52)matt77303 Wrote: [ -> ]FYI the Geforce 210 doesnt do HD-Audio.

Matt

What exactly does that mean?
(2013-01-17, 00:41)marlintuna Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-16, 21:52)matt77303 Wrote: [ -> ]FYI the Geforce 210 doesnt do HD-Audio.

Matt

That means, if Matt answers correctly, that you can´t get HD-audio with this card. You will only get the core tracks (DTS or DolbyDigital) via HDMI.
cof... LPCM at best up to 7.1 and if connected to TV using it as receiver DTS and AC3 and every other option is best be disabled.

uNi
(2013-01-17, 09:24)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-17, 00:41)marlintuna Wrote: [ -> ]

Matt

That means, if Matt answers correctly, that you can´t get HD-audio with this card. You will only get the core tracks (DTS or DolbyDigital) via HDMI.

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. HD audio works perfectly on the GT210. Maybe if people would stop spreading blatant lies on this forum less people would be in need of help.
(2013-01-24, 11:36)negge Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-17, 09:24)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-17, 00:41)marlintuna Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly does that mean?

Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about. HD audio works perfectly on the GT210. Maybe if people would stop spreading blatant lies on this forum less people would be in need of help.

Hum, Show me where it says the 210 can do DTS-HD and Dolby True HD.

Cus the one ive got in my drawer upstairs doesnt.

Matt

This would support the 210 NOT supporting HD audio:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:H...MA_support

Although note the rider that some 2xx cards may work in some situations.
I bought a GT210 three days ago and when playing DTS-HD MA my reciever recognizes it as that. If that doesn't mean it's supported I don't know what is. I haven't tried TrueHD yet, I can download some samples and post back here. Only "proof" I'd be able to post is a photo of the reciever's signal info.
And what you hear I guess...

(2013-01-25, 11:42)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]And what you hear I guess...

Possibly, but saying "I can hear it's not the core playing" isn't exactly proof of anything.
Pages: 1 2