Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [QNAP HDMI NAS] tearing on video playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

First of all sorry if i'm not on the right section , as qnap nas run under an embedded linux i'm posting here.
So i bought the ts-269 pro from qnap, wich has an hdmi output, and a xbmc package available.

It's specs are the following :
dual core atom cpu @2.13gz (D2700 i think)
1go ram , that i extended to 3go.

Xbmc version available is eden 11.0.1

I'm experiencing tearing when playing videos, and it doesn't matter if it's a SD or a HD source.
The tearing is always on the top of the screen.
I managed to lower it a bit by tuning xbmc settings (vsync/match refresh rate...), but i can't get rid of it.

Cpu usage is never over 30%.

I saw a lot of topics on this board about tearing but it's almost always related to drivers preferences/aero/etc , in my case i can't tweak a lot of things on the software part.

Maybe if someone can help me identify the cause of this tearing i could give information to qnap support, and maybe hope for a fixed version later.
I don't know a lot of things about xbmc, so if anyone can give me directions about where to look, what informations to give etc... it would be greatly appreciated Smile

Thanks

Ben
Debug log please
Tearing is usually related composite and you must disable composite in xorg.conf...see this link ignore the copiz comment it applies to tearing as well.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._with_XBMC

Somehow I had a feeling this forum was gonna get lumbered with support from QNAP users running half cocked builds of XBMC through some half cocked HDMI QPKG on their NAS.

Best advice is get a proper HTPC.

uNi

Here's the debug log (xbmc settings were reseted)

http://pastebin.com/Ekz2S8Rf

About getting an htpc, my goal is to reduce the number of devices around the tv, so using the nas for storage and xbmc would be great.
Thanks for the link, i'm gonna try and report.
edit : Option "Composite" "Disable" didn't have effect on the tearing.
Disable in XBMC settings.

AC3 pass through
DTS pass through

Its a really bad choice to have a application like XBMC in a NAS anyway where the GPU is some mystical device no one has ever heard of, I havent anyway.

A example of better know GPU's are Intel, Nvidia and ATI - and XBMC hardly supports these (ATI and Intel) in mainline Frodo (with recent code), never mind some outdated Eden build when there was even worst GPU support and which drivers are tied in to some HDMI mystical application in the NAS :/

Your reasons are great but doesn't make it a good idea - You are deliberately excluding yourself from a community by picking a difficult (unknown) and unsupported platform.

One of the strengths in XBMC is because there is a community of Users with experience in some Hardware's and picking a target device that is not even developed by anyone in XBMC is even worst.

Anyway good luck, though I hoep some wizard comes along and helps you, but this is my stop here.

* un1versal walks out the QNAP bus.

uNi
Well i used xbmc for the first time on an xbox1 , maybe 8 years ago, then tried it on a mac mini, htpc etc, so i'm not narrow minded on this qnap solution.
So if it's not possible to run it on this nas, well i'll switch to something else, but if i can keep it simple in terms of devices/remotes/noise etc, it would be nice , especially because of my wife going nuts with all the geeky stuff in the house :o (and moreover with the amount of things you have to do to just watch a movie when there are 4 devices in the process :/ )

If i'm not mistaken the D2700 has an embedded gpu, intel hd.
Seems like the intel driver is not perfect , it's coming from qnap official support.

I tried to remove ac3/DTS (made me switch to hdmi, i was using analog setting before), and no change.
what's weird is that by toggling information panel ("o" key during playback) the load on hardware is not heavy at all...
Maybe some enhanced driver from intel will improve that, maybe a newest xbmc build from qnap will help too...

And maybe i should start to look at some small android boxes running xbmc :/

Thanks for the help btw Smile

Ben
No problem...

* un1versal waves the Qnap bus as it goes to other destinations...

* un1versal shouts, its not the intel GPU its the other GPU its using and the crap HDMI QPKG no on knows how that works...

uNi
Hello, has anyone solved the above issue? I have the same problem, i've tried everything and the problem still exists. Enabling options “Setting” > “Video” > “Playback”, and then enable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "Sync playback to display" help a little but tearing video on the top still is visible. TV is Sony Hx850 and video playback works great form a PC and 24hz refresh rate, problem is when using QNAP 269L (3GB RAM) and XBMC. I think that the problem is that XBMC imposes refresh rate that isnt really 24hz and thats why tearing in about 1min gap appears. With disabled refresh rate and sync video isnt watchable at all - video 23.976fps vs 60fps (60hz) on xbmc - tearing of video is the worst. Not mentioning that the video brightness from XBMC is far wors than from any PC and (core avc codecs). I'm sadly dissapointed that there isnt any option to change refresh rate on XBMC at QNAP in system properties I think it would fix the problem.
For those who don't mind fiddling under the hood of your qnap, here's something that for me fixed the tearing issue. (TS-x69L)

Add the following line to your xorg.conf (located in /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/etc/X11 ), in the "ServerLayout" section
Code:
Option         "SwapbuffersWait" "TRUE"

Then restart the HD_Station service and it should do the trick.

M

Edit: Going through different file formats, I now noticed that the tearing is gone only for some files... Don't know what makes it tear on some and not on others, but I imagine it's the different frame rates.. Back to work, then.