Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Migrate XBMC from 1 machine to another? SOLVED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I configure XBMC on my 32bit laptop then run XBMC Backup and transfer all my plugins, add-ons, and settings to a new more better 64bit HTPC? I found this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...figuration and also thought about just copying all the files I can find to their respective places on the new machine.
I am still configuring everything and will be running the same OS (Mint KDE with XBMC) only the new machine will boot from a 16GB USB 3.0.

thanks to all
That'll work as long as you're accessing your files from the same place. I did this awhile ago when setting up a new machine but wasn't thinking and mounted my nfs shares at a 'better' location. XBMC fired right up and looked exactly the same but none of my library links worked. Thought I'd borked something and would have to clean and re-scrape a 100k+ item library till I thought about what I'd done.
So as long as the target is the same i.e. the nas the migration will work? Using xbmc backup or just copying the folders over?
(2013-01-16, 01:42)Travalon Wrote: [ -> ]So as long as the target is the same i.e. the nas the migration will work? Using xbmc backup or just copying the folders over?

The mount point for your files can't change following the migration. For example, on a Linux machine you might choose to mount your movie files at /Media/NAS/movies or maybe /mnt/NAS/movies. If your other machine also looks at these locations for the same files you'll be good to go. If on the other hand you've mounted you NAS on a user desktop (say ~/Desktop/NAS/movies) it likely won't work without extra effort. Back up your userdata directory before experimenting just in case you run into an issue.
Ok thanks, The mount point can stay the same as it's a nas. Everything gets mountes into a nas folder in home/nas so it should be easy to do.
where is my user data directory?
Your userdata directory is here:

~/.xbmc/userdata

(.xbmc is a hidden directory)
Was looking in the wrong place. I was looking in the folder named root instead of home (using Dolphin) and it was as informed, hidden. I just copied the entire .xbmc folder and, after renaming the .xbmc folder in the receiving machine, pasted it where it belonged. It was like cheap magic. just needed to rt click on videos/files/movies,tv,whatever i named them, and edit source path.Works like a charm.

Thanks for the help....