Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: questions about USB-harddrives in XBMCbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I used XBMC on OSX and Windows, but now I switched to XBMCbuntu (Frodo, RC3)
The latest version works great with audio over HDMI with my HD5450, so I am quite happy with the results.
Fantastic work the XBMC-team has put into the newer version.

A few things work differently from what I am used to, and it would be nice if I could fix 2 of them.

1) USB Harddrives get mapped automatically and loaded into XBMC. Nice feature, but I want XBMC to show only one folder on a drive (as the root), because I also have backups and drivers on the same disk, and in Windows I just created a shortcut to the folder Movies so my girlfriend wouldnt even notice that, nor does she have to click on the folder Movies.
Creating shortcuts to a mapped drive also works with XBMCbuntu, but then I have both in the list when I click videos. Any tips?

2) When drives go into standby and stop spinning in Windows, they automatically start spinning again when I clicked the shortcut. The hard drive wakes up! This does not happen in XBMCbuntu. The mapped drives dissappear and shortcuts stop working
I really have to powerdown and powerup the drive to get them back or restart XBMCbuntu.
This must be something that can be fixed? Everyone must have this problem? Any tips? (if possible, a way that does the same in Windows since I can save Power and the life time of a harddrive.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Friendly greetings,
Demesmaeker
For #1, just specify the one folder on that drive as an XBMC media source, rather than the entire drive. This way, you can only see files from that folder while in XBMC.
(2013-01-16, 19:59)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]For #1, just specify the one folder on that drive as an XBMC media source, rather than the entire drive. This way, you can only see files from that folder while in XBMC.

But XBMCbuntu automatically maps any USB drive connected and puts them in the list of sources! I could not find an option to disable this. Maybe I overlooked?
For #2, Probably grub needs appending ubscore-autosuspend=-1 and because Linux is lately seems to not load usb-storage driver and thus it needs to be added to /etc/modules permanently since I dont think XBMCbuntu is actually loading the driver at boot anyway.

Edit /etc/default/grub and add usbcore.autosuspend=-1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. Example:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

Update grub:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Then

Code:
sudo echo usb-storage >> /etc/modules

Now idk how your creating these shortcuts or where in XBMCbuntu but normally as long as drive is connected the links created in Files>Videos should never disapear after this even if you boot with USB devices connected.

If this fixes it you need to open a track bug report and cc lcapprioti and ask for these things to be included

uNi
(2013-01-16, 20:05)demesmaeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-16, 19:59)artrafael Wrote: [ -> ]For #1, just specify the one folder on that drive as an XBMC media source, rather than the entire drive. This way, you can only see files from that folder while in XBMC.

But XBMCbuntu automatically maps any USB drive connected and puts them in the list of sources! I could not find an option to disable this. Maybe I overlooked?

The point is that if all content is scraped to the database you dont have to use the source tab...

Give XBMC the info what content is stored in the folders and scrape everything to the database... this is the main way to use xbmc.