Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Certain video files don't play with audio.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I'm having an odd problem all of a sudden. When I play certain movie files there seems to be no audio. This doesn't happen when I play the same file outside of XBMC. I downloaded the beta version of XBMC 12, backed up and fully uninstalled XBMC 11, ran XBMC 12, had it scan my library again and the same video files that had no audio played fine. Any idea what could be going on? I don't want to start new and have to re-setup XBMC, the skin etc so I would love to figure out if there is a way to resolve this. Or some way to keep the new XBMC 12 and still keep my old settings in tact. When I simply keep my old XBMC folder in Application Support and install the new XBMC 12 application over top of the old one, the no audio issue remains.

The files causing me the issue seem to have the same encoding as ones that don't cause that issue.

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks!
after updating your settings to frodo just go into system->system->audio and verify/fix your audio settings. This should get you going then.
Hmm...

Are you saying I should leave my old XBMC folder in tact, update to Frodo by simply dragging the Frodo app over top of the old XBMC app, then check my audio settings?

The problem isn't that I get no audio from all of my movies, only some of them. If something was wrong in the audio settings, wouldn't it affect everything?
1- yes

2- no
Unfortunately that didn't work. It's very odd. Sometimes I will get the 'failed to initialize audio device' error. Now some videos that played fine before are having the same issue. I haven't changed anything. I may just have to start fresh with the new version of XBMC (as I could have sworn I read somewhere that it has a new audi engine that may prevent these issues) and spend a few hours getting it back to how it was. Rescanning my library, tweaking my skin, downloading apps and scripts etc... ugh.

Any other suggestions before I do this would be great.

Thanks.
It has nothing to do with scanning your library. It has everything to do with your audio settings. Debug log of a playing failure. Screenshot of audio settings. Details of audio playback device (tv/amp/connection/capabilities)
Double check audio-midi-setup app in osx and set your speakerconfiguration right there. and what nickr said.
I will try these suggestions once I can today. In the meantime, I should tell you that to test it out, I backed up my old XBMC folder in library/application support and installed the new XBMC, then did a fresh rescan of my movie folder and everything played fine. The audio settings were set exactly the same as the old set up.

Also, I use a program called Airparrot to stream my screen to my Apple TV 3 which is hooked up via HDMI to my TV. I then run XBMC on the 3rd screen, which is my TV. I tried cutting Airparrot, Apple TV and my TV out of the equation and the problem still remained.

Nonetheless, I will try those suggestions and get back to you guys as soon as I can.

Thanks again!