Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: General Scrapper and Library Set-up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using XBMC for a couple years now and love it. I use Ember to organize my media and it has worked well up until recently and now it doesn't scrape well for me but that's beside the point. Ember keeps my movies all nice and neat and downloads the fanart but when I add the movies to the XBMC library, XBMC then rescrapes all the movie info and fanart and stores it locally. How do I set up XBMC to either use what I have already scraped or save its scrapings in my movie folder on the network?

My folder structure looks like this and I am using unraid by the way.

\\tower\movies\highresmovies\MovieTitle (2013) 720p
MovieTitle (2013) 720p.mkv
MovieTitle (2013) 720p.nfo
MovieTitle (2013) 720p.tbn
MovieTitle (2013) 720p-fanart.jpg
fanart.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn

All that is downloaded by Ember.

I could care less about the fanart as far as the difference between what XBMC downloads and what ember downloads. I am mainly concerned with keeping my naming conventions and movies and library info together. It would make my media life easier if I could drop the file into the movies folder and have XBMC rename the folders/files and download the fanart but save it to the network folder so I can also point to it from my ATV2 where a local library it not possible.

So I'm looking for some experienced users opinions on how to set this up properly.

Thanks,

David

David-

I've been doing the same thing for the last couple of years, except my movies were stored on a WinXP box. (In the process of migrating everything to unRAID right now - just got my pro.key tonight!!)

I've not had issues with XBMC rescraping, renaming, etc. Everything has been stored on the Win box, to the best of my knowledge. If XBMC is downloading its own posters/fan art/etc, it's keeping them well hidden from my prying eyes.
For instance if I add a movie with no fan art then update the library/scan for new content. It will download the fan art but its not storing it on my unraid server. I am using the base installation of XBMC, have you tweaked anything?

David

XBMC always caches artwork in /userdata/Thumbnails upon scraping (whether it got the artwork locally from your NAS/server or from a website)
so what about in the case of the ATV2 where there is limited storage. There must be away to not save it there?
(2013-01-21, 23:14)djonesax Wrote: [ -> ]so what about in the case of the ATV2 where there is limited storage. There must be away to not save it there?

See Pathsubs (wiki)
So with pathsubs I can save the thumbnails and fan art on the server but stil not in the folders that I manage with Ember. So if I download the art with Ember, XBMC will pull the art I download from the movie folder and copy it to the thumbnail folder on the server or where I sub to path to?

David
(2013-01-23, 23:02)djonesax Wrote: [ -> ]So with pathsubs I can save the thumbnails and fan art on the server but stil not in the folders that I manage with Ember. So if I download the art with Ember, XBMC will pull the art I download from the movie folder and copy it to the thumbnail folder on the server or where I sub to path to?

David

Correct, that's what would happen.

(although depending on the size of the local artwork, it might resize it so it isn't necessarily a direct copy)
Please note:

a scrapper scraps, ie fights

a scraper scrapes, ie gets infop from an online resource.

Lol, thanks for the correction.
(2013-01-23, 23:06)gabbott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-23, 23:02)djonesax Wrote: [ -> ]So with pathsubs I can save the thumbnails and fan art on the server but stil not in the folders that I manage with Ember. So if I download the art with Ember, XBMC will pull the art I download from the movie folder and copy it to the thumbnail folder on the server or where I sub to path to?

David

Correct, that's what would happen.

(although depending on the size of the local artwork, it might resize it so it isn't necessarily a direct copy)

I sometimes wonder why I am even using ember to download the fan art. The built in "scraper" in XBMC seems to do a great job. Can I can edit the settings in the XBMC scraper to rename the files and folders in my movie share as it scrapes, or would I still be better off using Ember for the naming conventions?

Thanks,

David