Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Updating Xbmcbuntu without reinstall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to upgrade from Eden to Frodo but don't want the hassle of a reinstall on my HTPC. How do I go about this?
You start by reading the wiki

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._XBMCbuntu

It covers upgrade methods and what may break and how to fix it.

uNi
Hi there

I'd like to do this too if possible, but that link...

Code:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo ppa-purge ppa:whatever-ppa-you-have-now
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:your-choice-ppa-here
apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

That really doesn't help - what is "whatever-ppa-you-have-now" and "ppa:your-choice-ppa-here" for the more basic user who just installed XBMCbuntu by following intructions without really knowing what it was doing?!

Thanks!
If you read when you open that link it gives you 3 see also links <-Those should be read too and one you have a listing of ppas which are linked there http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...FDebian.3F

If you HAVE no idea what ppa you have -> google how to find out!

Just do this If you have XBMCbuntu and dont wish to change ppa's
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

If you want to change ppas you need to remove the old one so in XBMCbuntu likely be ppa:team-xbmc/ppa and insert whatver ppa you want to use and run the commands.

It is helpful if you understand anything about Linux, It is not intended to teach people how Linux repositories work only to advise them best you can and what can be done without frying their setups..

@Finchy

Be reasonable, if anyone just installed XBMCbuntu then it would already have a latest version and if they dont know what they doing they best ask specific questions. Also the wiki is open, feel free to actually improve the quality of documentation which I do as part of my contribution to XBMC.

uNi

Thanks Universal, I've run those and it's updated it fine (I had to reset the audio in the settings but that only too a few mins of testing to get it right).

I didn't mean to criticise, these things are a great help and I appreciate all the work the devs and community does, it's just that a lot of us are *very* limited with Linux and tend to just follow the instructions without actually understanding much of what it's doing. I've have a limited knowledge of linux, but I've not heard of a ppa before and it was a bit of a WTF moment when I saw it in the instructions without explanation of what it was! Smile
When in doubt google.

uNi