Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple TV os 2.3 and OpenELEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I boot to OpenELEC from a USB key while my Apple TV still has os 2.3 installed?

I disabled auto-update on my Apple TV and don't know how to re-enable it. I didn't realize that would also disable the manual update. I have XBMC 11.0 installed, but I can't use it until I update the os. Thanks in advance.
Yes. You can also safely update the native ATV OS to the latest (I think it's 3.2) and then redo the patchstick (see ATV1 FAQ (wiki)).
Thanks. I asked because the wiki had that warning:

Quote: Warning Before installing a Linux-based OS, you will want to make sure that your ATV1 has been updated to the original ATV OS 3.0.2

BTW, actually I can't update the ATV os because in 2008 I did this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40744

If I can't figure out how to undo that, I'll try to figure out how to backup my user data and then reset the ATV and start from scratch.
Use the restore option, update, and then re-patchstick ("jailbreak") the ATV1
Thanks, Ned. I tried to re-enable updates using the gui first. It worked. So, the gui must disable updates the same way as the command line approach does, by editing the /etc/hosts file to point the ATV to look for updates in the wrong place. It's a lot easier to do in the gui than by doing the SSH tunnel and using nano in the command line.

Once I got the software update, but my XBMC launcher was gone, so I had to re-patchstick the ATV anyway. Oh, well, can't win them all...

Now, I am able to launch Eden, but it always quits on me when I'm in the main menu. The workaround is to quickly get a video started. I can usually get to a video if I'm fast enough, and it doesn't quit once the video starts. I guess this problem belongs in another thread. Meanwhile, I'm very glad that I can play videos again. Thanks for your help.

Neil
Weird
So, I take it that isn't a common problem?
Well, if it's crashing I would think it would crash if you started a video or not. So one it's odd that it's crashing, and two it's odd that playing a video stops it from crashing. Post a debug log (wiki). Even though it's Eden and there's not much we can do for Eden now, it might be something simple like a corrupt file that can be easily fixed.