Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with HD Audio Xbmcbuntu AMD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. Sorry to post such a boring question but i cannot find an answer after looking in the forums for 2 hours or so.

Basically i previously had XBMC installed via a windows 7 installation and HD audio worked fine, i just had to change the audio device in settings to enable DTS HD and DOLBY TRUE HD etc.

I have just reinstalled the machine but running it as stand alone version, i downloaded the amd version of xbmcbunto RC3 but i have no options to change the audio version. The only option i have is "HS-AUDIO GENERIC HDMI". There is no other audio driver/option. Everything else works fine dts/dd etc but when its hardcore dts-hd or dolby true hd etc it sort of plays just VERY slow, as soon as i change it to dts or change the option from hdmi audio to analog it works but obviously the sound isnt coming through as HD audio which i want. Is this a known problem with the stand alone version or have i installed it incorrectly? It basically seems like i havent got a AMD/ATI driver installed hence why i only have a HD-AUDIO Generic HDMI option instead of a AMD/ATI driver.

I really hope this makes sense to someone, i am a very unsavy person so need hopefully a simple answer/explanation!

Thanks for looking and hopefully helping me!
Unfortunately, the AMD drivers on Linux do NOT support HD audio...
Really? Are you sure? That's a bloody nightmare, just wiped a perfectly good windows 7 installation that did! Even with rc3 version it doesn't work?
Can I ask another question please! Just say I buy a cheap nvidia gfx card to use for bit streaming hd audio, because I originally installed the amd version of xbmc, will I need to reinstall the whole operations system? Are the two versions of xbmcubuntu for CPU drivers of gfx card drivers?
(2013-01-27, 15:44)mattyc1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Really? Are you sure? That's a bloody nightmare, just wiped a perfectly good windows 7 installation that did! Even with rc3 version it doesn't work?

Yes, I am quite sure... See the following from post #1 on the Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only thread:

"Due to the way the fglrx drivers are implemented in Linux, ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD). This is because their audio system cannot handle more than 2 channels. At the current time, the radeon open-source driver only supports 2 channel HDMI audio when running Linux kernel >= 3.3. (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...HDMI-Audio)"

(2013-01-27, 16:03)mattyc1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Can I ask another question please! Just say I buy a cheap nvidia gfx card to use for bit streaming hd audio, because I originally installed the amd version of xbmc, will I need to reinstall the whole operations system? Are the two versions of xbmcubuntu for CPU drivers of gfx card drivers?

I am not 100% sure as I use OpenELEC...

Ok, thanks for replies/help.
I have now found more information, sorry i doubted you, just cant believe amd havent sorted it out yet!
I quite like the look of openelec, i cannot decide which way to go now though, i have 3 options:-
1 Reinstall windows 7 and then will have HD audio back
2 Stay as i am and put up with no HD audio
3 buy a cheap nvidia card and use that for hd audio.

Shame really as i have a AMD 3870 all in one CPU which does exactly what i need except HD audio in linux!
I would go for OpenELEC with a cheap nvidia card (GT520 silent card is a good option)...
Is there any way around this problem? I only ask this as before frodo I was using Eden with a patch that still gave me hd audio (this was via windows 7).
My question is, is there a unofficial fix for this, I would have thought there must be some custom drivers to rectify this problem?
Speak to AMD, it is their choice to make drivers that simply do not work for HD audio.

Get an nvidia card, profit Smile

I have already sent them a email! I just thought someone may have written drivers to sort the problems out or found a way around it, guess not! I have a amd 3870 cpu with built in graphics, dont want to use aftermarket gfx card but I have also recently swapped a nvidia gtx570 card for a hd7970 in main pc and very dissapointed with this also. Think I will stay away from amd in future, guess they are cheaper than nvidia/intel for a reason!

I wouldn't buy a amd GPU with your money - their linux drivers have been crap as far back as I can remember! Its a real shame though, they make some nice products, but so do Intel and nvidia...
Good evening people.

Im just wondering has there been any resolution to this problem yet or is it the same?

I have heard and seen a few rumours that AMD have released a AMD Linux HDMI Audio driver and just wondering if this has been implemented into a XBMC version yet?

Thanks.
top post in the linux subforum: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
nice work that.