Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio and video playback not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed XBMC on a friend's first-generation Apple TV (using aTV Flash). As it doesn't have AFP, I used SMB (guest account) to reference audio and video content saved on an external drive connected to my Mac Mini (OSX Snow Leopard). I was able to watch the content without a problem.

I returned the device to my friend and connected it to his network and referenced his A/V content (on an external drive; same make and model as mine) connected to his iMac (OSX Lion). I created the SMB share and gave RW access to the administrative and guest accounts.

I added a new SMB share that referenced the new device.

I am able to navigate the share's directory structure and see the media files. Unfortunately, attempts to play video (MP4 or MKV containers) or audio (MP3) fails.

Video and audio play when added (via FTP) to Apple TV's 'Media' folder.

I examined the file permissions of the files on the external drive (particularly the one that I was trying to play, named 'MOVIE_II.mp4' in the log). The Everyone account has RWX right.

Help appreciated.
  • 1st-generation AppleTV; OS 10.4.7; CrystalHD NOT installed
  • iMac; OS 10.7.5
  • XBMC installed by FireCore's aTV Flash (v 4.5 (4500))
  • Log file: http://pastebin.com/1UbX3kpH
  • SMB share connectivity tested with guest and administrative (name 'First:Last' in log) credentials)

** edit 0 **
* added ATV OS

** edit 1 **
* added CrystalHD info

I tried to mount a SMB share from the ATV (via ssh) to the iMac. That also failed, with a connection refused message. I find it odd that the folders and files are visible with SMB, but that I can't open them. I suppose Apple broke that.

I was planning to install the files necessary to run AFP--hopefully there won't be an issues with it. aTV Flash won't seem to do that despite their documentation.

Another option is to run Serviio on the server (iMac). I've had good luck with it on my network.
since you didn't provide the osx version of the server i can oly guess

SMBUp (wiki)
Do you have any other systems to test the SMB shares on the iMac? (a laptop or another computer?) SMB mounts were working at your place, the configuration of the ATV1 didn't change and they're not working at the new location with the new server, you have to presume the error is on the server side (the iMac).

btw - do you have a CrystalHD card installed in the ATV1? (line 16 of the log file - it's not finding the libcrystalhd.dylib file - you're going to want this driver installed if you're going to try to play back any 1080p content).
It's normal for the debug log to look for and not find libcrystalhd. I think just about all of the debug logs do it, as XBMC always looks to see if it's there during start up, or something like that.

He also did mention OS X versions. It worked for his Snow Leopard Mini (10.6) but not for the iMac running Lion (10.7), which confirms that he needs to run SMBUp (wiki) on the 10.7 machine to get SMB working with XBMC.
ops - overread that but seems the solution is still valid Wink