Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frodo won't read music thumnail/fanart cache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason after upgrading to Frodo, XBMC is no longer reading my music images cache. Now when I Where there were once thumbnails, album covers and fanart there is now just default icons

My AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails/Music folder still has all the thumbnails, fanart and whatnot cached as .tbn files. And they are the right images. So they are still there but XBMC is just no longer reading that folder.

A lot of the fanart for my music cannot be found in the databases because I listen to a lot of obscure punk etc., and it literally took me MONTHS to get fanart added to all the artists in my library. I made most of them myself by searching for pictures on the Internet and editing them to the right size using Photoshop. Please don't tell me I have to start all over again Sad
Did you rescan when prompted? Your art is local, one presumes?
I did rescan when prompted, but it froze halfway through. So I went into the music files menu and chose to scan my music that way.

If by local you mean stored with the media then no. It's not possible for me to store the metatdata with my music because of the way my folders are structured. Most of my albums are stored in folders corresponding to their artist's name. But I also have around 150 compilation albums, and these are stored in one big "various artists" folder. Some artists are found only on compilations, so they don't have individual artist name folders. So the only copy of my thumbnails is in the userdata/Thumbnails/Music folder.
You assigned all your album/artist art manually previously? If so, your only option is to do it again I'm afraid. The reason is there was no storage as to where the images came from in Eden or before. In Frodo we now store this information, so if it's any compensation, it won't happen again - just make sure you keep the images around!
FUCK. It literally took me about 8 months to put it all together the first time. We're talking days and days of work. I have 1600 different artists and over 2000 albums. There is simply no way I can do it all again.

No it wasn't all assigned manually, but a majority was. A lot of my album covers came from the ID3 tags too, but for some reason the album covers aren't being read in there anymore either? There has to be another way. The metadata is still there in the userdata/Thumbnails/Music folder, why isn't it being read by XBMC all of a sudden? Surely there is a way for me to salvage it? Where is music metadata being stored from now on in Frodo? And what exactly has changed? I don't quite understand what you mean from your explanation.

Music metadata has been implemented so incredibly badly in XBMC. I don't understand why you aren't able to import and export your music metadata to separate files and folders.

i.e. have a directory called "Music metadata". Inside that have folders with folders with all your artist names. Inside those have bandname.nfo, bandname-thumbnail.jpg, bandname-fanart.jpg, inside artist folders have folders corresponding to all their album names. Inside those have albumname.nfo, folder.jpg. AND, be able to export metadata to your music library by using those folders. I've never understood why it has to be as complicated and unintuitive as what it is with all these weird .tbn files with weird names not actually corresponding to the names of the artists.
Also, why am I having this problem but other people aren't? Is there some way I can change it by rolling back to Eden and changing the way I have my library organised, then re-updating?
Art in ID3 tags should be read just fine. If it's not, then supply example files that show this behaviour.

Artist art will be read still if it's local, and will be downloaded again if the URLs are valid. If they're not, then it won't be.

If you have the art available in any place other than XBMC, then it's recoverable. It's potentially recoverable via scripting if your only source of the art is in Eden's cached art files, but note that you'll be very much on your own there in terms of writing the script.

Exporting your music library from Eden to a single XML file is probably worth a go - I'm not sure what is exported art-wise with that. If you exported to single files from Eden, then it will export alongside your music files. Not sure how it handles compilations though, but at least all non-compilations (the bulk of your collection, right?) would be solved.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jonathan
(2013-01-31, 00:19)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]Exporting your music library from Eden to a single XML file is probably worth a go - I'm not sure what is exported art-wise with that.
Nothing - no art is exported with the XML at all.

(2013-01-31, 00:19)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how it handles compilations though,
Causes the whole thing to break and the files - even for artists not on compilations - are sent here, there and everywhere and the whole folder system becomes a gigantic disorganised mess. Been there, done that. This is why I've only ever kept a backup copy of the cache up until now.
(2013-01-31, 00:19)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]Art in ID3 tags should be read just fine. If it's not, then supply example files that show this behaviour.
i'm having issues with my embedded album art in ID3 tags. Seems like it only works for about 25% of my albums. I have provided some details here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154017

Thanks...
I've managed to get about 60% of the artwork to export, but it took making a second copy of ALL my music, uninstalling and then reinstalling XBMC and downgrading and upgrading about half a dozen times. I guess that's about as good as it's going to get Sad I've tried everything.

I'll post a tutorial later for anyone who comes across this thread and happens to be having the same problem.
A tutorial would be great, I have gone to great lengths to customize my Music Fanart and am about to make the move to frodo, i would hate to lose all the effort that has been put in

much appreciated
OK when I get some time tomorrow I'll write it up.