Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Picture Slideshow Screensaver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i've seen many requests and often people seem to forget this addon is a screensaver and not a picture viewer of any kind..

1. this is therefor not possible, a screensaver will exit as soon as you press any button

2. kodi already offers such a setting i think?
Settings > System > Power saving > Put display to sleep when idle: 30 min
(2022-02-26, 19:14)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]i've seen many requests and often people seem to forget this addon is a screensaver and not a picture viewer of any kind..

1. this is therefor not possible, a screensaver will exit as soon as you press any button

2. kodi already offers such a setting i think?
Settings > System > Power saving > Put display to sleep when idle: 30 min
I get that it's not a picture viewer.  I just thought it would make a nice addition.  The picture screensaver that I had on my nvidia shield that also ran kodi also had that as an additional capability.  As to the power saving, the screensaver seems to prevent power saving.  I'm guessing that kodi doesn't think it's idle and as a result never goes to sleep as long as the screensaver is running.
it seem that this plugin do not rotate picture using exif data.
So very-much pictures from smartphone are oriented in the wrong way.

Do you think that's possible to fix that ?
The Slideshow Screensaver works well. However, I found it difficult to quit or stop it at times.
It appears to go into the background and the only way to quit XBMC is to hit "S" to exit.
(2022-02-28, 20:37)PowaBanga Wrote: [ -> ]it seem that this plugin do not rotate picture using exif data.
So very-much pictures from smartphone are oriented in the wrong way.

could you check if the pictures are rotated correctly in the picture section of Kodi?
addons don't have to worry about rotating images this, as this is handled by Kodi internally.
This problem is with Picture Slideshow Screensaver running on all Kodi 19.X versions. This issue does not happen on Kodi 18.X.

I have many pictures where the file name shows who\what\when about picture. I have edited the EXIF and IPTC tags to show where the pictures were taken. Specifically the Subject and Title tags.

As an example:
Picture name: (2009)07030039July4th-BrandyEllisonMyronMorricalDanGrover.jpg
IPTC\EXIF: Subject\Title: Taken At Larry and Nancy Ellison's House, 62626 Yankton Rd, Griswold IA

The settings I set in Picture Slideshow Screensaver are:
1. Basic: Image Folder
2. Additional: Display Image Name: Use filename
3. Additional: Display additional picture tags: Enabled
All other settings are default

When I run Picture Slideshow Screensaver I see: 
On Kodi versions 18.X Picture Slideshow Screensaver will display text in the lower right corner with the following format:
Kodi 18.X screen capture example

On Kodi versions 19.X Picture Slideshow Screensaver will display text with the following format:
Kodi 19.X screen capture example

On the Kodi 19.X example the file name location, format and text are correct but the tag information is duplicated on the left side. It has also substituted "#39;" for the the apostrophe.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is it a bug in Picture Slideshow Screensaver or Kodi 19.X?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Is any way to limit the shown pictures to those above a certain size ( or resolution ) or to remove some paths having a pattern into ?

My setup is as follow

- 2 x NAS in HA ( both with RAID to keep my data safe ) - this is why I won't be happy to select some pictures and create another folder
- I have a folder named (by_year) on the NAS where is the main root for pictures I want to see on multiple platforms with all pictures in this architecture of folders ~/byyear/YYYY/MM/
- due the fact I use some other platforms ( not related to this ) in each of the ~/byyear/YYYY/MM it was created a "hidden" folder @eaDir filled with the thumbnails of the main folder

Is useless to say that this add on will look into those folders and retrieve pictures at low quality and display them on the 4K display

I want to be able to either exempt any of those folders to be looked at or to set up a thresold of the minimum picture size/resolution for the pictures shown
it can't filter images based on size / dimensions, but excluding certain folders should be possible.

kodi offers an option for this through the advancedsettings.xml file.
see: https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings....reexcludes

the slideshow screensaver will respect those settings as well.
I'll give it a try
Thanks
... at the end
It worked

I don't have a clear answer why after implementing the xml  file and a full reboot it did not worked BUT
After a while the "thumbnails" mages disappeared from the view

I suspect 2 things
1. a "backlog" of already indexed pictures until a full refresh
2. the refresh it took a while ( there are toons of pictures )

important is that is works as intended
tnks
Could you tell me how to start this screensaver if it is not set as the active screensaver (I have another screensaver but I like this slideshow)?
I would like to be able to run it by choosing an option from the menu.
try with
Code:
RunAddon(screensaver.picture.slideshow)
but it didn't work

thank you very much
Best regards
Gabriel
i'm afraid that it's not possible.
it is really a pity, thank you for your answer.
Regards
Hello - thank you for the great Programm. Works perfect for me on xbian/kodi matrix/pi3. The only thing is, that some pictures appear for 1-2 seconds and not for the preset 10 sec.
I hope to offer the right logfile here. Seems like some python problem in line 489

The pictures are on USB-Stick but same behaviour when offerd on a netdrive.

2022-05-16 15:25:17.619 T:4616 ERROR <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'SystemExit'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/xbian/.kodi/addons/screensaver.picture.slideshow/lib/gui.py", line 489, in onScreensaverDeactivated
def onScreensaverDeactivated(self):

https://paste.kodi.tv/zoxajazupi.kodi
SystemExit

Would be great to get some hint/help Smile

HansM
Part-Solution:
instead of Xbian i used libreelec - tata  - working as expected Smile

Greetings
HansM