Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Trying to Watch Dolby TrueHD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can use Handbrake and get my files to play just fine in DTS-HD MA but when I try to convert anything from Dolby TrueHD sources, it either downmixes or converts to another program.

I have tried Handbrake and DVDFab to no success. Any other idea besides playing the 25 gig native file for Dolby TrueHD? (That works fine by the way)
Seems like a handbrake support forum question...
Just wondering if anyone here has run into any good ways to do this since HD audio support has been a long sought after feature...
Yes, Google answers all your questions, unrelated and related to XBMC, and this is definitively one is one of them, so why duplicate answers?

uNi
a) transcode original m2ts video stream [orig.m2ts] to x264 using handbrake - this will result in an video-only mkv [vid.mkv]
b) use mkvmerge to combine DTS-HD or Dolby TreuHD audio stream + all HDMV (subtitles) with transcoded mkv file

[orig.m2ts] + [vid.mkv] = [finished.mkv]

End result will be an mkv with the transcoded video + HD audio + subtitles into a finished mkv.

This is what I have done hundreds of times.
(2013-01-31, 08:13)digitalforce Wrote: [ -> ]I can use Handbrake and get my files to play just fine in DTS-HD MA but when I try to convert anything from Dolby TrueHD sources, it either downmixes or converts to another program.

I have tried Handbrake and DVDFab to no success. Any other idea besides playing the 25 gig native file for Dolby TrueHD? (That works fine by the way)
Are you using the "auto passthru" audio option, see http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/34848...g-HD-audio
@jjd-uk

I am running Handbrake off the nightly ppa and this 'may' now work properly for both DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, but last time I checked - mid-2012 I think - it didn't seem to pass the HD audio through as expected so I just stuck with the extra step of remuxing with mkvmerge.

IIRC it seemed to have issues passing the selected audio stream onto the finished product / mkv.

Have you tested this recently?

https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archive...-snapshots

My main desktop is on the Lucid PPA which doesn't seem to have moved since April...I'll try this on a newer desktop I guess. Maybe its fixed now.

I've never tested it, just what I found with a quick Google. Personally I use MakeMKV to keep the uncompressed video & audio.
OK, no problem.

I'll maybe test this out again on newer version of Ubuntu / newer build of HB off the PPA and let you know if its working properly now.

Would save an extra step with mkvmerge.
I realize this isn't a HandBrake/MakeMVK support forum but I thought we could all collaborate here, so I appreciate the conversation.

Here are the different methods I am using:

Step 1 - Blu-Ray to .MKV using MakeMKV. That creates a 20-30 gig file that plays in XBMC just fine with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD
Step 2 - To Shrink the file, I have tried using HandBrake and DVD Fab Blu-Ray Ripper. Both will do DTS-HD fine. No go on passthrough for Dolby TrueHD. Both methods downmix it regardless of setting..

I will give MKVmerge a whirl!

MKVTools has pass-through support for Dolby TrueHD (and can also re-encode the video to lower rates to save space just like Handbrake), unlike Handbrake (their forums suggest it will get this support in the future, but I don't know when. It seems odd DTS-HD passthrough made it over a year ago and it can read TrueHD, but can't pass it through. I would have thought passing it through would be simpler than encoding it something else, but I don't know the technical details. Handbrake CAN pass-through DTS in M4V containers, though, which is pretty nice for being able to maintain iTunes/Apple TV compatibility (it just ignores the DTS track) while XBMC (Frodo and newer) can read the DTS track. Ironically, MP4Tools by the same author as MKVTools cannot pass-through DTS into a M4V container, so I have to use Handbrake there.

MKVTools and MP4Tools are nagware (minor features like queues disabled until you register and a few second nag when you open a file), but this doesn't stop you from using the actual tools. They're only $6 anyway. MP4Tools fixed container issues that some other encoders somehow created without touching the video (i.e. Apple TV 2 wouldn't reliably play them while XBMC would, but after re-packing the the container with MP4Tools while changing no settings, just using pass-through fixed the issue, whatever it was so it was worth $6 to me, personally). I'm thinking about registering MKVTools as well since it can make my MKV files smaller and still pass-through TrueHD.