Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upgrade to Frodo, crash on startup, 12.04 ubuntu, ION
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help me with this. Upgraded to Frodo and now xbmc won't start, just get a glimpse of confluence before it crashes.

Crash log is here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1592570/

I've tried:

Resinstalling nvidia drivers, both using x-swat ppa and the NVIDIA.run.
Using a clean profile (the crashlog is with a clean profile, except an advancedsettings.xml to force debug).
Purging xbmc, xbmc-bin.

glxinfo output: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1592601/

Really not sure what to try next Confused
Rename the guisettings.xml and rename any asound.conf or .asoundrc you may have.

uNi

Hi Uni,

Funnily enough I saw this advice from you on another thread and already tried that. No .asoundrc, guisettings removed, and the only asound.conf is the one in /usr/share/xbmc/system/asound.conf.

Still buggered Sad
Second try.

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils libasound2

uNi
Nope, still buggered. Rebooted before trying, same crash.
Off to bed now, thanks for the suggestions.
Try using the ppa I have on my signature, top link purge your previous ppa insert new ppa, purge old installation.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:yourcurrentppa
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xbmc xbmc-bin
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

I suspect its some dependency though if you use full Desktop + xbmc (which uses the evil pulseaudio) you should compile XBMC with --enable-pulse and see if it helps.

uNi
Hey Smile

up until now I've only been reading these boards but finally I hit a snag I couldn't yet solve. so there goes:

I (probably) have exactly the same problem as the thread starter. I run a Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS with an nvidia card. 'Eden' went along fine but updating to 'Frodo' (first several RCs, now final) alway results in the program crashing after the first glimpses.

I re-installed nvidia drivers (usually I don't use them at all but keep the Ubuntu native ones which worked just fine), I took away pulse audio, I tried your repository, still the same.

After trying your final advice (changing the ppa) I started xbmc from command line and got 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)' when it crashed.

Crashlog can be found at: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1628175/

any chance for help? I really wouldn't like switching back to 'Eden' as I would like to start using shares libraries/MySQL with my living room pi

thanks for all the help this board offers Smile

gaseous.
Sorry dude, I never did get a fix for this. I ended up installing xbmcbuntu.
gaseous: install a proper nvidia binary driver.

you are running nuveau:

11:22:07 T:3037718272 NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = nouveau
11:22:07 T:3037718272 NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on NV96
11:22:07 T:3037718272 NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
11:22:07 T:3037718272 NOTICE: GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 1.20
would like to. but installing the nvidia-current oder updates or anything results in regular compiz errors I can't get rid of. or is there any other nvidia binary driver I can get my hands on? (apart from the third party ones?) - installing nvidia drivers (tried that about three times the last weeks) didn't solve the crash problem though, btw.

right now I'm trying updating to Ubuntu 12.10 which resolved the crash for someone in another thread here on the board. will report back.

thanks.
update to 12.10 complete. solved the crash issue.

will try installing the nvidia drivers.

thanks for all the tips Smile