Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmcbuntu 12.0 Boot Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just attempted to upgrade from Xbmcbuntu 11 to the new 12.0 and encounted a problem with auto-starting into xmbc - it boots to the point where X tries to start then the system freezes with a black screen and a black X cursor only. The system is totally frozen. I'm using an intel sandy bridge board with G530 using the on-chip intel graphics controller. This is with a fresh install from the live CD (intel/nvidia 12.0 iso).

For now I've re-installed my original setup and upgraded to xbmc 12 but still running on the earlier 11.12 ubuntu core - this is working find. So, problem appears to be ubuntu 12.10 not xbmc.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, David J
I am having the same issue. Hope someone from the dev team can have a look at this.
Let me know if you find a fix.

Asus P8768-V Pro Gen 3
i3 2500
8gb ddr3

thx
Ootish
the same problem
this has been answered multiple times on the forum and the wiki.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ack+screen
(2013-02-01, 16:23)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]this has been answered multiple times on the forum and the wiki.

I did that on RC3 which was 99% working for my setup, Today i decided to install the "FINAL" from scratch under the impression this detour wasn't required. SO I ask this...... during boot options, There is actually selections for Sandy Bridge systems (so this must had been noticed, as well as other threads regarding this issue prior to the "FINAL" release). I decided to try before doing a fresh install, And it actually work!!!..... BUT.... i then did an installation with the sandy bridge option and guess what?..... The exact same problem had arisen while trying to boot :/... Why have this option when it still requires grub modifications etc... specially when this release is regarded as final? This issue was dated back since RC2 and was acknowledged during RC3.... I have also noticed lib-intel is not appended with this release as vaapi is not working, yet this too was acknowledged a while ago....
patches welcome
(2013-02-01, 16:23)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]this has been answered multiple times on the forum and the wiki.

I'm now up and running having implemented the RC6 fix as follows:

Booted the system with SystemRescueCD, mounted the hard drive partition on which XBMCbuntu is installed, and added the RC6 fix as per linux FAQ entry to /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.conf

A couple of observations:

1) The entry in the wiki FAQ does not specify the nature of the problem that the fix address - how is someone dealing with this problem supposed to know that this is the problem they have and the fix they need? If I'm allowed as a new user to edit this wiki entry and can find a few minutes I will update it so that it might be useful.

2) Surely the fix for this is really simple - issue an additional XBMCbutu ISO labelled for sandy bridge systems with the appropriate RC6 kernel settings in grub - its only one file to change and an ISO to build. It looks as if doing this would save a lot of people a lot of wasted time and head scratching.

I appreciate that this bug isn't in XMBC and is down to ubuntu/intel, but isn't the XBMCbuntu distribution aimed at making it easy for inexperienced linux users to install and use XBMC as simply as possible with the minimum of hassle and difficulty. Editing one file and building an extra ISO image for users with sandy bridge systems affected by the RC6 bug with a note to explain why this ISO is available isn't a lot to ask, is it?

Thanks, DJ