Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Realtek sound drivers and Audioengine.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just when I thought I'd had my fair share of problems with Frodo I went to set up the audio setting and I came across a big problem: I use the Realtek optical audio driver that doesn't play nicely with Audioengine. I have to use this driver to output via optical to my 2 channel DAC, which obviously doesn't have HDMI inputs. So uninstalling the driver is not an option. So I'm stuck using Directsound mode which sounds absolutely awful.

Currently I use the optical output on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H). I guess if I bought a sound card which uses a different driver it would solve my problem, right? Does anyone know of any solution other than purchasing a sound card?

I tried using Foobar2000 as an external player, but this was a terrible solution. It did not work seamlessly at all, and I spent hours trying different things and scouring the Internet for ideas. Also, interestingly WASAPI in event-driven mode works in Foobar with the Realtek driver but not in XBMC for some reason. God damn it.
I'm not sure why we have the issue with some RealTek drivers (some do work and are happily playng DTS-HD MA). Have you checked for updates - especially right from the mobo maker?
Without going through all the posts, my impression is that the majority of those reporting issues that are down to Realtek seem to have AMD chipsets, I've seen people use Realtek OK with Intel & Nvidia combinations, not sure though if any issues have ever been reported on anything other than a AMD based mono or GPUHuh
Good observation jjd-uk - you may be on to something there. The good news is I have AMD gear and that in the interim AMD drivers seem to solve any issues.

The bad news is really onboard RealTek chipsets, whether analog or optical - those I don't have test gear for and short of mobo driver updates users are often stuck with the generic RealTek driver. I note that for those the RealTek driver download page now makes you acknowledge a disclaimer that the driver is generic and may not work with their specific system.....
Hi mate which drivers u using for ati ? And does it fix all the hd audio problems.

Cheers
(2013-02-02, 18:11)DDDamian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure why we have the issue with some RealTek drivers (some do work and are happily playng DTS-HD MA). Have you checked for updates - especially right from the mobo maker?

I've tried the latest version from the motherboard website and the version from the Realtek website and it just doesn't want to play nicely at all. Is this something that we might see a fix or patch for or should I look into getting a sound card?
I'm having the same issue

.....no sound, no navigation sound, no audio at all when playing any movie. I tried uninstalling / reinstalling, again same issue!

I am running audio through HDMI to the TV, but I've tried both HDMI and analog

I have the most up to date drivers for AMD Hi Def and Realtek.

Everthing worked fine in Eden.

XBMC log:
http://pastebin.com/C0S53028
Realtek works fine on Frodo 12.0 and AMD GPU. Check out this thread for more info- Simplify XBMC configurations......
(2013-02-03, 03:14)eljeh Wrote: [ -> ]I am running audio through HDMI to the TV, but I've tried both HDMI and analog
Did you configured it as shown below? You can find some more tips in the link I posted above.....

(2013-02-03, 02:53)Cath Barkley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-02, 18:11)DDDamian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure why we have the issue with some RealTek drivers (some do work and are happily playng DTS-HD MA). Have you checked for updates - especially right from the mobo maker?

I've tried the latest version from the motherboard website and the version from the Realtek website and it just doesn't want to play nicely at all. Is this something that we might see a fix or patch for or should I look into getting a sound card?
Have you try Realtek R2.70 from here- High Definition Audio Codecs? R2.70 works fine with all my Intel, AMD and Nvidia cards and Frodo......

(2013-02-04, 23:43)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-03, 02:53)Cath Barkley Wrote: [ -> ]

Have you try Realtek R2.70 from here- High Definition Audio Codecs? R2.70 works fine with all my Intel, AMD and Nvidia cards and Frodo......
Yes I've tried R2.70 from there, and the version on the motherboard maker's site.
(2013-03-10, 14:18)Cath Barkley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-04, 23:43)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-03, 02:53)Cath Barkley Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried the latest version from the motherboard website and the version from the Realtek website and it just doesn't want to play nicely at all. Is this something that we might see a fix or patch for or should I look into getting a sound card?
Yes I've tried R2.70 from there, and the version on the motherboard maker's site.
Since you are connecting your HTPC directly to HDTV via HDMI cable, I'm recommending using AMD driver instead of Realtek. Have you update your AMD driver from here- Graphics Drivers & Software? You can try all Analog, HDMI, WASAPI and DirectSound options.....
(2013-03-10, 18:50)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-10, 14:18)Cath Barkley Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-04, 23:43)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]Have you try Realtek R2.70 from here- High Definition Audio Codecs? R2.70 works fine with all my Intel, AMD and Nvidia cards and Frodo......
Since you are connecting your HTPC directly to HDTV via HDMI cable, I'm recommending using AMD driver instead of Realtek. Have you update your AMD driver from here- Graphics Drivers & Software? You can try all Analog, HDMI, WASAPI and DirectSound options.....

HDMI would probably be an option, but WASAPI through HDMI doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Also I often listen to music with the TV off which would not be possible if I went HTPC->TV->DAC->amp instead of HTPC->DAC->amp.
So is a fix for this problem on the cards or should I invest in a sound card?
Get a good GPU and go HTPC>AMP>TV with HDMI. Best sound.
The DAC I'm using doesn't have HDMI inputs.
Pages: 1 2