Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED]Could not boot Frodo - Logo loop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Planning to upgrade my semi-ruined Eden XBMCbuntu install. Downloaded Frodo and created a USB, couldn't get it to boot.

Used Pendrive's tool to create a USB, boots fine on my laptop, but won't boot on my HTPC, keeps going into a logo loop when trying to start, so I can't even start the install. Burned a CD, same thing happens, but it does eventually boot to the login screen instead of the infinite loop the USB goes into. It appears that Lubuntu starts fine and can get to the desktop, only the XBMC main application is crashing, so I caught a debug log.

Debug: http://pastebin.com/piX1eiJ9

EDIT - Tried getting a backtrace but won't generate a core even though log points to one. Already issued ulimit.

Specs:

Athlon 64 3200+
MSI K9M6PGM2-V2 EuP 2013
2GB Memory
Radeon 4550

I might go and actually do an install in a bit to try to see if it crashes the same way, but gonna grab lunch first. Big Grin

Thanks!
Dont bother fglrx-legacy strikes again!!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154418

That should cure it

If you want to have a moan, go moan at AMD or whoever decided to release 12.10 as a base Linux OS which in turn leads to AMD drivers issues.

uNi
Thanks. I'll give the Beta 1 repack a try like the other thread.

But seems like the FAQ still says it should've been 12.04? Wouldn't it make more sense to use an LTS as a base...
(2013-02-03, 01:23)ToniCipriani Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it make more sense to use an LTS as a base...
You'd think so wouldn't you...
Once installed the 12.04LTS XBMCbuntu do this

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository  ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

And you then have Frodo and Should have a fully working install which is AMD/ATI optimized

uNi

I should really document this on wiki upgrade faq!!

I see the rain coming, its the umpteenth post on this!

uNi

(2013-02-03, 01:52)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Once installed the 12.04LTS XBMCbuntu do this

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository  ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

And you then have Frodo and Should have a fully working install which is AMD/ATI optimized

uNi

I should really document this on wiki upgrade faq!!

I see the rain coming, its the umpteenth post on this!

uNi
So far just upgrading to the non-optimized one seems to do the trick, I actually added team-xbmc/ppa instead of removing it (didn't exist in the first place). Also did a regular Ubuntu system update then wreak havoc with the legacy drivers, Uninstalled the nVidia driver and re-installed the ATI legacy driver manually and it's all good.

I'll definitely give the optimized XBVA version a try though.

Thanks.
The official ppa has zero support for ATI. (no hardwrae acceleration or it will work poorly) and only xvba actually has support for it via XVBA, since vaapi acceleration is broken for ATI hence the need for xvba.

uNi
FYI this is resolved on the thread I pointed to and will be used as a reference both on wiki and here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154418

Post #7 has complete solution

Please mark this thread has solved by doing full edit, and select Solved from drop-down-menu to the left of subject line.

Bugtracker report should be submitted.

uNi

(2013-02-03, 12:08)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]The official ppa has zero support for ATI. (no hardwrae acceleration or it will work poorly) and only xvba actually has support for it via XVBA, since vaapi acceleration is broken for ATI hence the need for xvba.

uNi

Well in that case I've been using non-acceleration all this time and I didn't even know... Rofl

I only watch 480i stuff anyways... still using a 26" Sony Wega CRT. That's the reason why I have a 4550, for the component out.
Well you won't need GPU video acceleration for playing 480i, but you do need opengl acceleration (provided by fglrx) to run xbmc's gui.

Playing accelerated video on ATI/AMD needs fglrx AND xvba enabled xbmc.

Opening the gui needs fglrx but doesn't need xvba accelerated xbmc.

The UI is GPU accelerate IIRC.

uNi