Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot login to Frodo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is my very first post to the forum so please excuse me if I inadvertently break any rules.

Having played around with previous versions of XBMC running on Windows 7, I decided to finally take the plunge and convert my media centre PC to running XBMCBuntu, mainly because of the various issues that Windows throws up but also because it is not a hugely powerful PC and I wanted as little resources being used up as possible so that video run correctly.

I have downloaded XBMCBuntu Frodo and installed it to a pen drive for installation by using Lili successfully. I can boot my PC up on the pen drive successfully and run the installation (albeit that the screens during install are unbelievably small and hard to read on my 42" Plasma display).

My problem is after installation. When the PC reboots, it asks me for a username (which I defaulted to XBMC) and a password. I input the correct password and the PC goes off as if it is logging in. Only a few seconds later it returns to the login screen and asks me to login again.

Now I KNOW that I am inputting the correct password, but whatever I do I simply cannot login. I have reinstalled Frodo several times but keep hitting the same problem. I have also tried (during installation) checking the box that enables the system to automatically login, but still I get the same problem. I noticed that the installation will not let me proceed with the installation unless I give it a password.

So, what is the issue ?

I know that Frodo is the brand new release, but is there a known bug on XBMCBuntu that causes this problem ?

I am no newb to Ubuntu. I have several Ubuntu PC's at home and also some Ubuntu servers, so my Ubuntu knowledge is pretty good.

I have noticed several posts regarding legacy NVidia graphics cards - and indeed I actually do have a legacy NVidia graphics card. So I have taken note that many members recommend using a previous image instead (which I am currently downloading) that uses LTS12.04 rather than 12.10. However, I have NOT seen anyone else reporting a problem like this whereby one cannot log in, regardless of what ones does.

Any pointers would be gratefully received as I am keen to get this up and running and connected to the Media streaming server I have with all my music films and TV on.
There is already an xbmc user in the system when you try that. Try a different user name when installing.
Aaah OK. Coming from having run XBMC on Windows, I hadn't realised that XBMCBuntu already had a built-in XBMC user. That may well be the problem.

I have since rebuilt the PC with Ubuntu 12.04 and followed the Ubuntu installation guide for XBMC with 'some' success. It all seemed to go swimmingly until I treid to run XBMC and then it complained about me not having an OpenGL driver for NVidia installed. Not managed to resolve that issue yet.

Maybe time to go back and try re-installing XBMCBuntu with a different username and see if I get any better success.

Cheers
The user "xbmc" only exists on the Live CD and has a empty password. It is not automatically created at installation, so you definitely can choose "xbmc" as username. Just make sure your keyboard layout is correct, or your password might not be recognised. (Or choose a simple password without special chars)
Oh the password was as simple as it could possibly be. No special characters and only 4 characters long. So I know that the password I was typing was correct.
Its possible that the password was totally correct, you were logged in, but Xbmc failed to start. If that happens you are brought back to the login screen.

So if you try again and this happens, login to the desktop session(xbmcbuntu) instead and look at the log in ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
Cheers for that advice.

It is unlikely that I will get the chance to do a reinstall until the weekend now as I am not home from work until late in the evening. But I shall let you know how I get on.

If the experience with trying to install XBMC on a pre-built Ubuntu 12.04 image is anything to go by, then I suspect that XBMC is failing to start because of the Graphics adapter (legacy NVidia).
I've got the exact same problem.

I can login to XBMCbuntu but not to XBMC. The screen flashes a about 3 times showing the XBMC Frodo splash screen but then returns to the login screen.

Tried several reinstalls, and an apt-get update/upgrade on the last install. Lots of stuff was upgraded but no luck Confused
All you guys need to read this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 and try again. How is anyone suppose to provide help if you guys dont provide any workable information?

Its likely driver problems but none of you posted hardware information, logs or anything else so even if anyone knows the answer or want to suggest anything we have no starting point.

uNi
(2013-02-04, 18:46)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]All you guys need to read this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 and try again. How is anyone suppose to provide help if you guys dont provide any workable information?

Its likely driver problems but none of you posted hardware information, logs or anything else so even if anyone knows the answer or want to suggest anything we have no starting point.

uNi
You're absolutely right, and thank you for the quick reply.

When I started writing my previous post I suddenly realised something I had to check something first before asking help.
And I was right, I'm now busy installing the right XBMCbuntu version (AMD vs NVidia) Blush
Just finished the post anyway to let the TS know he's not alone in this.

Bingo! Problem solved!

I googled 'optiplex 330 chipset' and saw Intel everywhere. That's why I downloaded the Intel/Nvidia version instead of the AMD version.
After 2 days trying to get things running, I noticed the ISO's are labeled Intel/Nvidia and Intel/AMD (not just AMD). Thats' when I realised I've been pretty retarded and did not think things through properly before acting.
So I just installed the AMD version and now logging in works flawless.

So Jester2109, I suggest you double check wether you're using the right XBMCbuntu version!

Edit: I can confirm 'xbmc' is a valid login like wsnipex stated earlier.
Now that the weekend is here, I have finally been able to go back and look into this problem.

First off, it turned out that I did NOT have an Nvidia Graphic card in the PC as I thought. What I actually have in the PC (besides an Intel Atom 1.6Ghz CPU) is a low profile ATI Radeon 9250 Graphics Card (with DVI output that feeds via a converter block into the HDMI slot on the Samsung Plasma 42" TV). So, following the lead suggested above, I downloaded the Intel/AMD ISO and installed it to a thumbdrive via Lili.

XBMCBuntu install absolutely refused point blank to install from that image. I just got a blank screen - even if I used a standard PC cable into the VGA socket of the TV instead of HDMI. So there is obviously a problem with XBMCBuntu using an ATI Radeon 9250 GPU. As a result, I cannot get any log files because I cannot install XBMCBuntu in the first place.

What I can do is install Windows 7 (which is what it originally ran with anyway) on the PC later today and then I can get a Belarc report giving me a complete report of the hardware specs of the PC later. So then, maybe we can start to understand what the issue is and work toward resolving it.

Cheers
PC Specification:

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. AT4NM10-I Rev x.0x
Processor: 1.67 gigahertz Intel Atom D410
Hard Drive: 80Gb
RAM : 2048Mb
GPU: ATI Radeon 9250
You need to install the AMD version and switch ppa to use XVBA ppa SInce regular XBMC doesnt support ATI very well and vaapi is tottaly not working for ATI.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

uNi

Hi uNi,

Unfortunately, it WAS the AMD version I tried to install second time around. The install still does not work. All I get is a blank screen when the install from the thumbdrive kicks off
Pages: 1 2