Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: using Frodo Airplay keeps changing system volume level to very low level
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

Just upgraded my Windows system to the latest Frodo release and am having an issue when using AirPlay. The system volume level keeps getting bumped down to a very low level. Manually correcting it using the XBMC '+' volume control corrects it but I need to re-adjust it every time I use AirPlay.

My guisettings.xml after using AirPlay:

<audio>
<mute>false</mute>
<fvolumelevel>0.145161</fvolumelevel>
</audio>

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

You might just have found the cause....
Mmmmm thanks. I guess I should have asked any ideas on how to solve. I can't be the only person who simply plays something over AirPlay and then wham my volume is hosed.
It's been raised once (by me) and then a few others noticed it. No recent commits seemed to have caused it, but it appeared around Beta 2/3 and RC1.

It happened once to me, but I don't use AirPlay. Is it repeatable for you?
Yes, repeatable pretty much every time I play a new AirPlay item.
This is actually a feature (which was requested iirc). Volume gets controlled by the airtunes client. So basically when airplaying music XBMCs volume gets adapted to what the airtunes client sends. Just set a sane default volume in your airtunes client should fix it.
I have the same problem on Windows. I understand the reasoning behind letting the client dictate the volume however if my iPhone video volume happens to be right down when I play the content then XBMC will be turned down and then with every other video I go to watch after (eg. a tv show) my volume will be down too low to hear anything.

As a result I'll have to dig the keyboard back out the drawer to fix it or go to the audio settings menu while a tv show is playing with the remote and manually fix it then set as default for all.

What about remembering the previous volume settings and then when the airplay content finishes playing it automatically sets it back to the proper volume.

My logitech remote volume buttons are mapped to my amp/receiver not to the system volume and my system volume is permanently set to Max.
Ditto, same here - it's driving the wife crazy. She wants something that 'just works' lol!
I think there should be separate default volume settings for airplay, one size fits all doesn't really work in this case..
So we should get rid of the airplay volume control and ignore it completly? Or whats the suggestion?
(2013-03-13, 00:10)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]So we should get rid of the airplay volume control and ignore it completly? Or whats the suggestion?

I think we need to he sensible about what we are asking of you guys. How hard would it be to read the volume setting before an AirPlay session, then restore those values after the airplay session - this would still allow the control of the volume from iOS devices while AirPlay content was being shown?
That would be doable i guess.
Can I suggest to make this (changing xbmc/pc audio volume to itune client setting) into a user selectable setting?

For my setup I rather xbmc not changing my PC's audio volume. I always have my PC's audio set at maximum volume, I only adjust the sound volume at my AMP or TV. Now when I airplay from my iphone to xbmc, the volume drop to so low that I can barely hear it. To compensate that I have to turn my iphone volume output to max, if I happen to stop airplay in the middle of playing media (or next time I play media on iphone without airplay), the audio will end up playing on iphone speaker at full blast. So at least for me this feature has made playing through airplay difficult, but I can't believe my setup is that unique, I'd think most people who has home theater setup would prefer changing the sound volume at output device not at source device.
My iphone has different volume configurations for airplay and for local playback iirc. Which ios version and app are you using?
Ummm.....I have iphone 5 with 6.1.4 now, but it happened a while ago and I don't know what ios version I have when it happened (it has to be 6.x since its not that long ago) since then I made sure I change the volume on iphone before and after I do airplay, I will do some more test when I'm home, maybe it was just a fluke?
Pages: 1 2 3