Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Crash to desktop on opening
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, don't really know what I'm doing so please be gentle. I searched some of the threads before posting but came out none the wiser.

I'm using XBMC on an ASRock ION 330HT running Linux 10.04 with GNOME 2.30.2. Recently an unwisely installed system upgrade caused my XBMC installation to fail on launch, crashing to desktop after only a couple of seconds. On occasions I have been quick enough to get into the menu and it will still function. It also crashes to desktop as soon as the movie finishes.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Here is a crashlog.

http://pastebin.com/35NiE5vi

Of particular note seems to be this:

Quote:Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
*BUMP*

Probably should have mentioned that the segmentation fault was for when the program shut down at the end of a movie.

Does that make any difference?
No idea, tbh the stack trace is helpful to developers, to me it is Chinese.

Clearly when you upgraded whatever it broke something
I have exact same machine and dumped 10.04 a while back for 12.04LTS and xswat ppa for video drivers I have everything working including remote, though I dont use desktop installs either. See my signature.

Your running outdated drivers outdated XBMC, tbh if there is a fix it would be to downgrade whatver you upgraded and broke it, otherwise move on to better things.

uNi
Alternatively, since the Linux installation is still working, would it be simply better to reinstall XBMC?

*EDIT* Sorry, just re-read what you wrote. Will look into it. Thanks.
You could try to reinstall XBMC idk if that will change anything, my guess is you updated kernel + some other packages.

I would try to upgrade your nvidia drivers in Lucid to no higher than v210 any higher it has some side effects with newer XBMC versions idk about Eden.

Obviously if it was a kernel update you can test if that's the culprit by loading grub during boot (press shift key) and select previous Ubuntu. If it is remove the latest kernel and your done, if not try the above if it continues to fail, you need to start looking deeper or try to find culprit package. I suspect that stacktrace points to it you could try to google those stacktraces errors.

uNi
Thanks for your help.

Installed XBMCbuntu instead. Problem solved.
Case closed then, please feel free to mark it as solvedWink

uNi.
Yeah, good idea. Thanks.

Done.