Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ARCTIC MC001 Fanless low cost HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
I use three Arctic MC001 with Windows8 and XBMC 13 Alpha2.
It works perfecly.
I use the Aeon Nox 4 skin and stream my Full HD movies from NAS.
When you install the Arctic Box with Windows 8, you must install the Catalyst Driver 12.8. Otherwise you have problems with the HDMi Audio and graphic driver (for example the Catalyst driver 13.3)
The remote driver can be download from other producer. (Acer...) Arctic dosent offer the driver for Windows 8.

When you also use an Arctic Box for the bedroom, i advise an SSD.
I have Arctic with SSD Installed and Openelec (was really bored to mess with Windows)..

100% silent operation...

Aeon Nox runs perfectly streaming from NAS (and my library is quite large)...
Quote:Aeon Nox runs perfectly streaming from NAS

LAN or WiFi?
(2013-03-20, 00:02)bens09 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-19, 19:48)sstavross Wrote: [ -> ]What is the brand of the HDD?

I put in my Arctic a 500GB Hitachi. I don't had this kind of sounds but I can tell you it is not "quiet"!! It is loud enought to be very noticed! I think this is because the metal/plastic case acts like a loudspeaker. I used to had a segate HDD and it had these click sounds, so the sound you hear may be the "loudness" of the hdd...

Yes, you are right. I have opened the case and the sounds is comming from hard drive. This is not the regular sound "reading/writing". The click sound is usually caused by the drive parking its head. There are multiple causes for that, including power management and shock detection. However, it may also mean that drive is about to die Sad

AFAIK, the tick sound is not an HDD drive sound. After few restart, it disapperead !
(2013-03-20, 13:17)David.P Wrote: [ -> ]

LAN or WiFi?

i use only LAN... Smile (never trusted wifi for seamless streaming)
(2013-03-20, 14:51)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-20, 13:17)David.P Wrote: [ -> ]

LAN or WiFi?

i use only LAN... Smile (never trusted wifi for seamless streaming)

AMEN,

but cant help wonder about AC standard for WIFI.
Can it , will it, is it the holy grail of radiation!!!
Anybody have any luck with Ubuntu or Linux Mint on this? I might grab a spare hdd and try it out just for the occasions I want to have a web browser (march madness). Just set boot priority to my USB (openelec), but can boot to HDD when I want a full featured OS.
I stream it with wifi and it works perfectly
(2013-03-14, 02:23)Jackdaw Wrote: [ -> ]I have bought the MC001-N. I have installed hdd and 1 4GB Nanya SO-DIMM. All is fine so far. The barebone instructions do not refer to adding a DVD drive. There is a rectangular piece of metal in addition to the HDD bracket which I assume is for an ODD. Has anyone installed one? I can push one in from the front but can't work out where it is supposed to be secured. Neither side panel seems to give access to inside the metal enclosure for an ODD. It's ridiculous that there are no instructions for adding an ODD.

I faced the same problem and send a message to Arctic. They mailed pdf with installation guide to me. Also the guide is posted on their site. Here is the link: http://www.arctic.ac/index.php?eID=tx_mm...a0edf130fe
Do you guys have playback problems with the Arctic and OE?

Im using OE RC5.

Im having playback issues on most my files (have had that with all RC versions).

Im running wireless so a few of the issues could be related to buffering problems on larger files.

However, even on small old low resolution 20 minute avi/xvid etc. files I get multiple playback issues during playback of a file. Playback seams to slow down, and then 15 seconds later picks up again. Sometimes audio stop and video continues, or visa/versa.

Never mkv's mp4 files seams to run better, but I have a lot of old tv show rips that is almost unwatchable.

Im comming from a Boxee Box, never had these issues on that box - had a lot of other issues though Wink

Could be the result of the RC, since its not yet final. Could also be my video settings? - what are your video settings?
(2013-03-13, 14:16)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]Today i bought the

Xbox Remote (black)

It works right out of the box... it has great feeling and the buttons are responsive.. (unlike Arctic MCR1 CRAP Remote) and no latency issues Smile

What I have discovered that doesnt work (for the moment):
Ch PRG (it should work as page up and page down)
Guide: (it opens Music window) (but info button works)

Also it can be programmed to control the TV (will test it soon Smile)

Overall it was a really good buy..
(i would have bought Philips SRU5108/27 but i couldnt find it in Europe)
I bought this as well, thought I could use it with XBMC under Windows? I can power the unit on but that's it. There is no response in XBMC (Frodo) while a original MCE remote works just fine. With OpenElec the Xbox remote works well, so there seems to be something missing in the XBMC version for Windows?

Solved: Adjusting (and removing) some settings in the Windows register solves this issue. Settings are available in XBMC Wiki under Xbox 360 remote.
weird...
hello,

need help.

I have purchased MC001 and installed windows 7 on it.
I'm tring to configurte HDMI as Primary/Default display so I won't need to use PC (VGA) , the windows display will use only HDMI.

no matter what I do it doesn't work.
can someone help me ?
Hello,

i try to enable WOL on my Arctic MC001 running OpenElec 3.0 RC5, but i can't get it to work.
I enabled Wake on Lan and disabled EuP in the BIOS - still no success.
I also tried to use " $ ethtool -s eth0 wol g "
After using the parameter Putty says

Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g

If i run Windows 7/8 Wake on Lan is working fine.
Any suggestions?
I set up three Arctic MC001:

The main issue I had was accessing the bios on start up

Box1: F1 went right to setup. (using gateway 10 yr old kb)

Box2: no america megatrends, just went from arctic splash to reinsert or reboot (Logitech LED Backlit KB)

Box3: no america megatrends, just went from arctic splash to reinsert or reboot (Logitech LED Backlit KB)

Not sure what the issue was but I was able eventually make Box1 perform like Box2 and 3, as in not show the F1 for setup on American megatrends screen .Why did I do this? Because I was walking my Dad through the setup over the phone with our ultimate goal to reach bios, and disable EUP, change boot order to removable etc. , set clock . all those fun things.

The Issue: and I am able to duplicate this since we both have the same keyboard (the culprit)

When the box is in that loop where it doesnt show the F1 for setup, you have to press "delete" 1 or 2 or 3 times very quickly right after the arctic splash or just as it ends. It works with a dell keyboard, and a gateway keyboard from 10 years agao.

It does NOT , i repeat it does not register the delete key from the logitech led illuminated keyboard. Model: Manufacturer #: 920-000914

I trialed this 15 times, could not get it to go to bios from splash, switch back to 10 year old gateway keyboard , 5 times in a row, and lenovo mini usb from and older netpc, worked fine too

I guess it has something do with the electronics in the logitech KB, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Don't do your setup with the logitech led backlit kb, 920-000914

All is fine now, boots from SD card in like 10-12 seconds or less.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39