Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Strange video issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, as of a couple of days ago, I had a working XBMC box, running on an HTPC I build, which had Ubuntu 12.10 installed on it. I was having a couple of hardware issues, that turned out to be my HDD was plugged into the wrong type of SATA port. I royally messed everything up, and long story short, had to blow everything away, and reinstall. That is done now. I did the same thing I did last time, used the same LiveUSB and everything to install, everything works great, with one catch.

When I have the machine plugged into the TV directly, I get sound/video. This was how I configured everything (same as last time, mostly), because it was more convenient. I then moved the machine to my living room TV, which runs through a Sony A/V receiver. I am using onboard Intel 4000 graphics. When I first set up the box, prior to my HDD screw up, everything worked perfectly, video-wise. I unplugged it from the TV in the other room, moved it to the living room, plugged into the A/V receiver, and up everything came. This time around, not so much. It works if I have it plugged into the TV directly. It works (with some of the screen cut off), if I plug it into the TV first, then move it to the A/V receiver, and switch the TV input. But as soon as I restart, I am back to it only working on the TV again. I am stumped, have looked all over, to no avail. Can anyone please offer any help?

Many thanks in advance!
Sounds like your AV receiver is not properly passing edid information.

Compare your /var/log/Xorg.0.log files when booting connected to TV as against connected through the amplifier.
I had come to a similar conclusion, though I have no idea why this would have changed from one configuration to another... What I can't seem to figure out, is how to force the EDID along using Intel graphics. I found a lot of information for doing it with Nvidia, but I have neither an Xorg.conf file, nor any way to make an EDID.bin file, that I can figure out at least. Let me know if you know how to do that. Here are the log files:

Direct to TV: http://pastebin.com/FFXcvpV9

I am having a hard time making the logs appear for when it is connected to the A/V receiver, as it does not even seem to want to boot fully when connected anymore, but I did see it in the past, and the log was definitely empty of all the modeline/EDID info.
Now you know one of the reasons that nVidia is the best choice for HTPC graphics - the ability to use an external edid file Smile

You will probably need to work out some horizontal and vertical sync ranges and put them in an xorg.conf file (make it if you don't have it!). Also perhaps some modelines. It's ages since I had to do this. Good luck.
I will try to figure this out, though it is proving to be a nuisance... Do you have any idea why it worked before, when I can't think of anything that changed?
You would have to create a xorg.conf via X-configure http://askubuntu.com/questions/25746/etc...esnt-exist

if you look at User:uNiversal (wiki) wiki page you will see a wip of the how to create a edid.bin and IIRC you will be fine (in principle dont hold me to it as this may eat your babies and kidnap your kittens) using the method described with the nvidia tool, I cant remember exactly who it was that did something like that fritsch rings a bell may even have been for ATI idk which. If you get it working via that how to, then you could even update that how-to to include Intel Wink

uNi
Intel does NOT support the use of an edid.bin file as far as I know. It is an nvidia feature.
I cant see why not, since Edid is what most monitors and AVRs use to signaal their abilities to connected output devices like GPU's and a quick search yields this http://www.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-main...fails.html

Now I remember better that nvidia tool yielded a better edid than the get-edid tool but I have to admit it could have been for ATI.

fritsch would be the man to ask, IIRC he has a edid.bin form this experiment.

@NoHesitation
Making your thread tittle a bit more descriptive to include your GPU and that your trying to get a edid may help.

uNi
uNi - wanted to PM you but I can't seem to see the PM button under your post. Perhaps you blocked me because of an earlier unfortunate tiff we had Sad

Just reading your section as posted above about EDID. Can I ask - is this for openelec only? (I couldn't see that it was)

The thing is I see you suggest downloading nvidia-xconfig.

I just ask because nvidia-xconfig will already be present on ubuntu or debian systems - it comes as part of nvidia-current. No need to download on most setups. I foyu have the nvidia driver installed from the proper packaging, it will be there already.

I see you were writing your howto based on some openelec info, just thought I'd try and help.

Nick.
(2013-02-08, 07:38)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]I cant see why not, since Edid is what most monitors and AVRs use to signaal their abilities to connected output devices like GPU's and a quick search yields this http://www.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-main...fails.html

Now I remember better that nvidia tool yielded a better edid than the get-edid tool but I have to admit it could have been for ATI.

fritsch would be the man to ask, IIRC he has a edid.bin form this experiment.

@NoHesitation
Making your thread tittle a bit more descriptive to include your GPU and that your trying to get a edid may help.

uNi

Interesting post, but the author specifies to use the vesa driver which won't do you much good with an HTPC Smile

I know EDID is used by most monitors but not every video driver can make use of an external EDID file like the nvidia driver can.

PM's are disabled generally, you can contact me via my wiki talk page User_talk:UNiversal (wiki) and feel free to add any information to the article/update ist not for Openelec its based on Openelec how-to and is for Linux/Ubuntu and should work just fine, though admittedly It can be improved. Im more interested in modelines part than edid to be honest.

Sorry for offtopic @NoHesitation its really not cool to hijack your thread.

uNi
Quote:Sorry for offtopic @NoHesitation its really not cool to hijack your thread

yeah hence the attempt to PM - I'll add stuff to the wiki page or user_talk.
@uNi - No worries, believe it or not, I got it sorted out. I created a couple of config files inside /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ They are essentially what a xorg.conf file would have contained anyway, but they are segregated, so I made a 10-monitor.conf, 30-device.conf, and 40-screen.conf. It is each section in a normal xorg.conf, broken out into discreet config files for each component. Anyway, that still didn't fix it, but what seemed to fix it, was going into the BIOS, and re-enabling the splash screen... I have no clue why, though I suspect that something about that signal is different from the one that ubuntu sends out over HDMI, and whatever that difference is, it allows my A/V receiver to send the requisite info to my HTPC. I left the config files there as well, so there is no guarantee they are not doing their job as well, but if people are interested in finding out, I could always move them and see if it still works. Anyway, thanks for all the help, and worst case, I learned a bunch of stuff! Smile