Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Choppy 900p & smooth 1080p on AMD Fusion/Ubu 12.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI guys!
Yesterday my friend bring me few 900p episodes of TV Show which I can really watch on my HTPC. It's a little surprise for me because 1080p (Big Bucky Bunny) plays well.

Hardware configuration: AMD E-350 / 2GB / WD Red / TV via HDMI
Software: Ubu 12.10 / fglrx 12.09 from repo / XBMC Frodo. HWUVD_H264Level51Support enabled (aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1)

XBMC settings:
  • Display Mode: fulscreen
  • Resolution: 1080p
  • VBlack Sync: Always on
  • Render method: Advanced shaders (I've tried autodetection - nothing changed)
  • VDPAU: On
  • VAAPI: On
  • Adjust display ref. r. to match v.: Off
  • Sync playback to d.: On
  • Sync method: Video clock (resample audio)
  • VDPAU Studio level color c.: Off

Big Bucky Bunny
Plays smooth without any glitches or sync issues.

VLC media informations

XBMC media informations

900p video
Choppy video, out of sync (some fragments are ok but generally it's unwatchable).

VLC media informations

XBMC media informations

Personally I think it isn't a XBMC bug but I believe it's only place where someone can help me to resolve this problem.
Thanks in advance for help! Wink
just a quick guess as I don't know the AMD platform too well and you're comparing apples to oranges (mpeg4 versus x264): from my experience with the nvidia GPU acceleration I'd say that the AMD/ATI stuff won't support 1600x900 profiles; also while you have files that are natively 24p it seems your playback/display is set to 60Hz/fps which might also be causing the stuttering
I've found solution and source of my problems Smile
After updating to Frodo I unwittingly installed standard build without XVBA support (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...support.3F) which disabled hardware acceleration.
Once I noticed this and reinstalled xbmc to xvba build everything plays smooth and in sync.

@Hannes The Hun: Unfortunately "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" option cannot be enabled due to buggy firmware in my TV - once it's enabled 8/10 refresh rate changes which are made without HDMI cable disconnection or power cycling TV cause random white noise on some part of screen.

btw. Why XVBA isn't in master branch? Is it cause any additional issues unrelated to XVBA?
XVBA is not in master branch because Rainbows and unicorns are at war!

Two things.

1- You need xvba ppa for anything ATI so use it -- XBMC_v12_(Frodo)_FAQ#Does_Frodo_have_XVBA_support.3F (wiki)
2- Vdpau is only for Nvidia and VAAPI is 100% broken for ATI (refer to (1))

Issue 2 affects 1 and 1 is likely to solve 2

Wehn you do get xvba ppa packages, make sure vaapi and vdpau are disabled and xvba is enabled in XBMC settings.

uNi
@uNiversal:
Nobody is in war. AS the changes for XVBA are strongly coupled with other changes, that are approx 15.000 lines of code are quite intrusive, the upstream merge policy is not easy.
@fritsch

The war in between Unicorns and Raibows is real ok!? Even now the Tooth fairies are thinking of joining and if they join you know whos gonna join in too right? Yes, Santas elfs.

* un1versal goes off to get some anti-fairy dust.

uNi
anyway, guess this is solved?
@wsnipex - yeah, solved.
I smell flamewar so it's better for this topic to be closed I think Smile

Thank you guys.
Why would there be a flamewar? fritsch is a fantastic guy and a very helpful one at that. and like me not English speaker I think he misunderstood my unicorn vs rainbow (joke) war comment.

Besides his reply to me, explained your question why xvba is not merged yet and now we all know its not because of unicorns and rainbows Wink

hehe, its not easy being cheesy.

uNi

+1 all fine.