Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 1080p MKV Buffering via NFS (HaneWin)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I'm experiencing buffering when watching my 1080p MKVs via NFS (HaneWin). My content is local, but I'm using NFS to enable better performance for a couple of Raspberry Pi's with xbmc. Unfortunately, I believe, but am not sure, that nfs is causing issues with viewing videos on my HTPC client/server. When I play the same mkvs mapped locally (i.e., D:/Movies/...) I don't experience the buffering. I never had a buffering issue with Eden (but wasn't using nfs)

I tried disabling WASAPI to use DirectSound and increasing cachemembuffersize to 52428800 but neither had any impact.

I prefer to keep using the nfs setup as it allows for easy thumbnail management and database synchronization with the Rasperry Pis.

Thanks for any help!.
Doug

Other details and logs:
-Dual Core Processor
-nVidia GT 430
-adjust display refresh rate to match video is enabled
-sync playback to display is disabled
-DTS passthrough to receiver via SPDIF
-CPU sits around 10% while playing content (i.e., hardware decoding)
-HaneWin setting from here
-RPi plays the MKVs without buffering
-Firewall is disabled
-xbmc.log buffering occurs using nfs (playback starts 08:11:27; buffering at 08:12:57, 08:16:00, and 08:25:47; playback stops at 08:29:29)
-xbmc.log no buffering using a local source
-MediaInfo
Hi. I just found this looking for an answer to the same issue: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141260

Maybe it helps.
just wondering why u would like to use NFS on a windows machine if ur content is locally stored ?
that doesn´t make any sense...
keep the NFS server running for the RPi or any other linux machine, and set up ur HTPC to the local source...
(2013-02-26, 04:47)msocolin Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I just found this looking for an answer to the same issue: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141260

Maybe it helps.
Thanks. My network adapter is Broadcom so that solution doesn't directly apply. I've tried downgrading the driver version to without success.

(2013-02-26, 07:09)bimme Wrote: [ -> ]just wondering why u would like to use NFS on a windows machine if ur content is locally stored ?
that doesn´t make any sense...
keep the NFS server running for the RPi or any other linux machine, and set up ur HTPC to the local source...
It makes total sense when you have a large collection of pictures and videos. If I use a local share (D:\path\to\pictures) on the Windows box, then the thumbnail generated on the Windows box will have a different path/name than those on the RPis. By having the same NFS path, it is *much* easier to generate the thumbnails on my Windows box and then just copy them over to the RPis after.
I get stuttering since Frodo with a Win 7 client and a NFS server on linux. Same file via SMB works fine... wonder if related?
Generate your thumbs on your Win machine and Export Ur Library to the individual movie folders... The RPi will read them from there...

I would like to have the Option to store the Library in the Movie Folders, and not local. This Way any Client can scrape info to the folder and all other clients can read ist from there... To achieve better performance in xbmc the informAtion can be cached locally then...
I've been using a Synology NAS with NFS to stream to XBMC since Eden, including nightly builds.... not a single problem in well over a year. I suspect you have a network or some other problem unrelated to XBMC.

But, i you think it is XBMC then open a TRAC ticket and include a full debug log... then post that info back here to help the community Smile
(2013-03-11, 17:34)Livin Wrote: [ -> ]I've been using a Synology NAS with NFS to stream to XBMC since Eden, including nightly builds.... not a single problem in well over a year. I suspect you have a network or some other problem unrelated to XBMC.

But, i you think it is XBMC then open a TRAC ticket and include a full debug log... then post that info back here to help the community Smile

I'll do some troubleshooting with my network (disabling network card, change the network card, etc) and see where that gets me.

I suppose I could open a TRAC ticket, but I know the developers like things being posted and resolved here first, if possible. Full log is already in first post.

Thanks!