Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable removable device popup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I recently did a clean install to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Frodo. My issue stems from my current setup of my server, I have some truecrypt volumes mounted with a script upon boot, but apparently xbmc loads quicker than the scripts can mount the drives. This causes a popup on xbmc asking what I want to do with the newly mounted drives (Browse videos, music, files, etc) and I have to hit backspace to get out of them (three drives get mounted).

Is there a way to disable this popup from showing whenever a new device is attached? I have looked through every setting in xbmc's gui and haven't seen anything related.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Couple of suggestions come to mind:
  • Don't know how you have your mounting script and XBMC startup setup, but you can try adding a delay to XBMC startup to allow time for the drive to be mounted. Or have your mounting script verify the drive is available before starting XBMC (rather than using a fixed delay time).
  • If available on your OS, disable automounting of removable media insertion. This should also prevent that XBMC pop-up menu from appearing.
Thanks for the welcome!

I guess I forgot to include my setup info: I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, I installed xbmc and xbmc-standalone, and set up my account to automatically log me in without a password, so it just immediately logs into an xbmc session (which I guess is really quick). The drives are mounted at boot time with an init.d script I wrote.

I'm surprised there isn't an option deep in the advancedsettings that would disable this, but I'm not one to complain, it's just a slight nuisance.

I just got the idea to see if I can set the init.d script's priority higher so it'll execute sooner, I'll let you know how that goes.