Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I updated to ML and all my vids are on a FAT32. stream to ATV2 XMBC, options?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm aware that:
  • ML updated to SMB 2 which is incompatible with XBMC.
  • That NFS or AFP won't stream from FAT32 partitions shares.
  • That SMBup would do it, but I'm not that keen on it yet (I'm considering it, as the only solution available).

So those are really all my options?

All my videos are on another 2TB HDD, formatted as FAT32 (Because windows compatibility), I used to SMB stream 'em on Snow Leopard and now I'm stuck.
Can I use some different protocol, use XBMC on the Mountain Lion as a server, or anything else?
I have WIN8 on the same partition as Mountain Lion (dual boot), would something there work to share those files?

What would you guys do?

Relevant info:
Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Windows 8 on the same HDD.
ATV2 with XBMC eden
Files are on a slave HDD with a FAT32 partition, accessible to both OSs.

Thanks!!
I think there is a fix for SMB 2 in nightly builds (wiki), and it might be included for the upcoming v12.1 bug fix release.
I wont update to 12 Frodo yet. Too many bugs and SEVERAL problems (even my ML had problems with it, like crashing on exit, freezing the mac for several seconds).

What would be **REALLY** nice is that any SMB2 solution comes as a delta patch for v11 Eden (compatible with ATV version of course), a plugin, or anything less traumatic than a whole build update..
Too many bugs? There should be zero freezing/crashing issues with Frodo, and it's much more stable than Eden right now. I haven't had any issues with it on Mac OS X 10.8.2

There will be no Eden updates from Team XBMC.
Sorry, I didn't meant for it to come as rude, is just the the forum is full of people posting Frodo issues. I installed it myself today and had the issues I mentioned above.

That's really sad that there will be no updates. But moving on, is Frodo update something good for ATV2? Any performance improvements (Eden works really nice on ATV2 for now..).

Also, I couldn't find any info on SMB 2 fix on the nightly builds page for ATV2..
See Frodo issues (wiki) for known common issues. If you are having additional issues, please do tell us so that we can look into it.

No info has been added to the wiki about the SMB2 fix, but it has been added to XBMC's code.
Thanks.
Ok, I'm a going to try the nightly build.

After the install I just set up a normal SMB share on XBMC?
Have you tested this or have any positive feedback?

Edit: After reading a lot of posts on the ATV2/Frodo subject, I've found that MANY users are complaining about 1080 support, AC3 downsampling issues and general LAG/crashes.
So I'm not installing Frodo just yet.

If anyone have any ideas on my original topic (share on ML using a FAT32 source), I appreciate it.

Thanks.