Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No sound for DVD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have XBMCbuntu 12 installed and everything is fine if I play one of my many MKV or AVI films.

However, when I try and play a DVD either from the driver or from an image on disk (i.e. VIDEO_TS) I don't have any sound at all.

Here's the log
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1653821/

Thanks
Please post a screenshot of your audio output settings. Also, am I correct in that your computer is connected to a TV via HDMI? Have you tried playing MKV/AVI files with AC3/DTS audio (not just MP3/AAC)?
I will try and take a screenshot tonight.

Yes, the TV is directly connected to the PC via HDMI. Not sure what you mean by playing with AC3/DTS, is it something I change in the audio settings of XBMC?
Press prtsc on your keyboard.
Disable all those options DTS, AAC, LPCM, TrueHD, DTS-HD and output stereo to all speakers.

TV's are not compatible with all that, for more info see second link on my signature.

uNI
I think my dad has a similar TV, the only receiver capabilities you should check is Dolby Digital and DTS.
@negge

I doubt any TV's are DTS able, that should be off. Dolby Digutal (aka AC3) is ok to enable for TV's.

uNi
Depends on the TV a lot. Some won't even do AC3.
Yeah my TV supports DTS but will only play it not pass it through.

http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-relea...t-tvs.aspx
(2013-02-18, 00:10)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@negge

I doubt any TV's are DTS able, that should be off. Dolby Digutal (aka AC3) is ok to enable for TV's.

uNi

I thought the same until last weekend. His crappy 400 euro LG tv can both play and passthrough AC3 and DTS.
I doubt that any TV's can handle DTS in passthrough properly since they only have 2 speakers and DTS is 5.1 channels, so if any TV is playing this when XBMC DTS is enabled then the signal is being downmixed...
Anyway sure shot is enable debug of xorg.conf and look at /var/log/xorg.0.log and actually see what the TV supports.

Anything else at this point is pure speculation without seeing what xorg says

for op's sake DTS should be disabled also in XBMC settings unless he/she can determine via xorg.0.log what the tv can handle.

uNi

I disabled all of them and it worked. I will try and enabled Digital Dolby and DTS and see what happens. At least now I know how to make it work.

Thank you everyone
(2013-02-19, 11:27)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt that any TV's can handle DTS in passthrough properly since they only have 2 speakers and DTS is 5.1 channels,
How does the number of speakers in the TV affect whether the TV can pass through a digital signal?
Probably not, I wouldn't be an expert but xorg.log with debug enabled will tell, In the unlikely event some TV supports some form of DTS, its processing something and in the end its likely conversion/processing/downmixing happens to deal with physical hardware limitation.

The point is XBMC connected to TV, Everything and including DTS is best disable, otherwise you just confusing users with all this "maybe my TV is special" business, no?

uNi
Pages: 1 2