Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu Tablet/Stylus question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just competed a fresh install of XBMCbuntu (Eden) on a Asus B121 tablet pc with a touch screen and stylus. By default it boots into XBMC which is what I want. The touchscreen and stylus do not work while in this mode, however if I exit out and log into Ubuntu (lubuntu) everything works perfectly. XBMC works fine in windowed mode also.

I found two scripts that seem to solve this problem, but I have to boot into Ubuntu first. Both more or less are this:

runXBMC

#!/bin/bash
export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0
xbmc

I am still learning Linux, but I understand I at boot time I should be able to point to this script. I want to boot in XBMC by default. How do I do this? Is it a link or config file I need to edit?
Specifics would be grateful. I'm still learning.
Take a look at /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop

Copy it to /usr/share/xsessions/XBMCtouch.desktop and edit it to run your script instead of xbmc-standalone.

Now log out and then choose the XBMCtouch session when you log in.
Thanks for the reply, but after doing the suggestions, I don't get an option for XBMCtablet at login/reboot

Here is what I did. Created XBMCtouch.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions (XBMC.desktop still exists)
Edited it as follows

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMCtouch
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center with touch screen
Exec="/usr/local/bin/XBMCtouch"
TryExec="/usr/local/bin/XBMCtouch"
Type=Application

I have my startup script in /usr/local/bin and permissions are 755.

My options at login are
XBMC
XBMCbuntu
Openbox

Is there something to update so that XBMCtouch is available.
Well you will probably need to restart lightdm (rather than just log out).

I have fiddled with this for the last hour or so because I couldn't make my own advice work!

I found that if my /usr/share/xsessions/test.desktop file had a syntax error the session would not show up in the login bit. It was a simple repetition of the = sign in one line.

Also if the Exec script does not exist, it doesn't show up. Presumably similar if the Exec script has wrong ownership or permissions.

So double check your syntax. (for example none of the scripts I have in /usr/share/xsessions have quotes (") in the paths - although that shouldn't hurt afaik.

Also compare ownership and permissions of /usr/local/bin/XBMCtouch to a known working script like /usr/bin/startxbmcubuntu.

Also I am not sure of the difference between the Exec= and TryExec= in a .desktop file?
PS - in your script:

(1) also try the executable to be xbmc-standalone

(2) try giving a full path to all executables
Thanks so much, I got it to work great. Here is what I did for anyone else with similar issues

1. moved my XBMCtouch script to /usr/bin with 755 permitions. It contains the following:

!/bin/bash
export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0
xbmc

2. created XBMCtouch.desktop in /usr/local/bin It contains the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMCtouch
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center with touch screen
Exec=/usr/bin/XBMCtouch
Type=Application

At this point it XBMC works exactly how I was hoping, however I did discover one other problem. If I exit out into lubuntu I have no keyboard. To solve this I installed OSD. For the most part this solves all issues, OSD starts automatically except at the login screen. Anyway I can solve this so on the off chance I don't have I keyboard hand OSD starts so I can input the login password?

Barring this obstacle, I have a perfect little media pc/linux box.

sorry, meant I installed Onboard where I typed OSD in that last post.
First line of you script thoud start

#!

not

!

But that may just be a typo.

Well done though Smile