Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Party Mode Playlist Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I apologize in advance if this is a completely noobish question. I have recently set up XBMC on my Raspberry Pi using the raspbmc distro. I do not think this issue is a Pi specific issue though. I am having trouble with the partymode playlist setup. I have created the following smart playlist.

<xml>
<smartplaylist type="music">
<name>Party Mode</name>
<match>all/match>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Alternative</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Grunge</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Industrial</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="contains">Metal</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="contains">Rock</rule>
</smartplaylist>
</xml>

The list is named partymode.xsp and it is located in ~/.xbmc/userdata/playlists/music. It seems to randomly pull music that does not meet the criteria specified in the play list. I am wondering if I have something incorrectly formatted in the playlist.

A second part of this would be what changes would have to be made to make this playlist pull from my music videos as well. Would that playlist need to be moved to the ~/.xbmc/userdata/playlists/mixed directory then? Would I need to delete the one in the music directory after putting this in the mixed directory?

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I think I may have found my problem with the following line:

<match>all/match>

I believe there are two problems with the line. 1 - the /match didn't have a preceeding <. 2 - The key word was all instead of any. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this partymode playlist?

Ok. That definitely did not resolve the issue.

The current partymode.xsp looks as follows:
<xml>
<smartplaylist type="music">
<name>Party Mode</name>
<match>any</match>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Alternative</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Grunge</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="is">Industrial</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="contains">Metal</rule>
<rule field="genre" operator="contains">Rock</rule>
</smartplaylist>
</xml>

It seems to do ok for the most part but it seems to have a tendency to pull in some of my Classical music in the list. The files it is pulling in are properly classified with their MP3 tags, but I will re-verify just in case. Anyone have any ideas?
Does no one have any idea why this party mode playlist randomly matches the wrong genre?
See Smart_playlists (wiki) for proper syntax and encoding. Better yet, create your smart playlist via the GUI to ensure a properly formatted playlist: Music > Library > Playlists > New smart playlist...
Thanks for the input. It turns out my syntax was ok, but the file name and placement were incorrect. I read on one of the web pages that the file needed to be located in ~/.xbmc/userdata/playlists/music/partymode.xsp. When I created a party mode smart list it placed the file in ~/.xbmc/userdata/PartyMode.xsp. I must have referred to an old howto from a previous version. Based on this I suspect it was never really reading my partymode playlist to begin with. I think we can call this thread closed. I will update it if any additional help is needed. Thanks.