Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu 12 on Virtual Box : Possible ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I'm trying to install XBMCbuntu 12 (I have took NVIDIA iso but my PC don't have video card (Intel core i3 with graphic chipset) on Virtual Box.

Everything is OK but when XBMCbuntu start, I have splash screen then blue bubbles and XBMC crash, 3 times then logon screen. Other members of our french community (passion-xbmc.org) have encounter this issue when installing XBMCbuntu on their HTPC (no virtual host).

If I log on XBMCbuntu, open a console and start XBMC, I have this error :

Is it possible to install XBMCbuntu 12 in VirtualBox ?
try installing the vbox guest additions. They include a gfx driver that "should" work(didn't try myself).

Vmware should work ootb btw.
VBox GuestAddition installed and virtual graphic card is OK but I have the same issue Sad

I'm trying VMware Workstation 8.0 at my office but installation is VERY VERY long (I don't have web or network access, may be it's linked). I will try a fresh installation at home.
VirtualBox @ home :
VGuestAdditions installed but still issues :

Code:
~$ xbmc
OpenGL Warning: Failed to connect to host. Make sure 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM.
libGL error: failed to load driver:
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
OpenGL Warning: Failed to connect to host. Make sure 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM.
libGL error: failed to load driver:
libGL error: failed to load driver: �c  �$�:00:02.0
LLVM ERROR: Program used external function '' which could not be resolved!
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted
Crash report available at /home/mikael/xbmc_crashlog-20130218_212900.log

Crashlog :

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36689

I will install VMWare.
this is not xbmcs fault, it needs openGL, which your VM does not seem to support. Either vbox config error or your hardware is not supported for guest gfx acceleration in virtualbox
That it !!

Same issue with VMWare Workstation 8.0.4 until I have enable 3D acceleration in VM settings.

Now, XBMC is running Wink

Thanks.
nice Smile

if you could give a quick rundown of the steps needed, other users could benefit.
and plz mark the thread as solved.
With Virtual Bow, I didn't succeed in running XBMC even after enabling 3D acceleration and installing VGuestAdditions :

But with VMWare Workstation :

It's OK :

I have the same issue trying to install XBMCbuntu v12.0 in VirtualBox.

I have 3D acceleration enabled, bumped up the video memory to 64MB, and I still get the same error that mikebzh44 is getting. As to OpenGL support, glxgears runs smoothly but I confess that I am uncertain if that means OpenGL is working.

My host is an Ubuntu 12.04 x64 install, running on an i7 w/ HD3000 video.
It it possible to run xbmcbuntu in virtualbox, but its kinda tedious to get running.

short rundown from the top of my head:
- remove nvidia/amd AND vmware gfx drivers
- get newest guest additions iso(4.6.2) from virtualbox site directly and install (you need kernel-headers for it to build)
- put vboxvideo in /etc/modules
- enable 3d accel in virtual machine settings
Try updating to the latest version of VirtualBox 4.2.12 with the new extensions. It wasn't until I added the new extensions, brought down the VM, changed it to 3D under the display that it started to work.
little hint...

qemu 1.5 supports pci passthrough (only four graphic chips atm but...good start) Wink
I have been trying all weekend to get this up and running. No matter, what I do nothing work. If someone can please help me out, it would be every helpful.

I am running Kodibuntu in a VirtualBox and have a amd processor A-6.
Old thread....different versions of Kodi, different OSs...I would recommend starting a new thread
I just started a new one and removed nvidia. Now I am doing updates to Kodibuntu.