Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: investigating interlacing issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2013-03-08, 21:03)kees667 Wrote: [ -> ]Weekend bump. My issue is solved but if there is a bug exposed (which I cant determine) please let me know so I can submit a bug report.

Look at the top of the forum page. Bugtracker.
No need to submit a bug report. I have already fixed this is my repo which will be the upcoming version of vdpau. A fix will also be included in OE.
Thanks all. Still seeing some issues on 3.0.3, I have set a deinterlacer and auto but swithcing between different types of movies I sometimes notice a stutter again. If I then check deinterlace options it has reset to auto (maybe because the deinterlacer does not work for that type of movie). Hadnt had a lot of time to test yet but thought I'd at least report back.

Updaye: Just set a movie to Temporal half, selected "set default for all". Played the same movie agan and setting stuck. Went to a different file and deinterlace is back to auto, indeed temporal (half) is no option for this one.

Second file is a DVD, first one a DVD converted to MKV with MakeMKV.

Am I too soon ans is the patch still to be included or should I investigate further?
Quote:Updaye: Just set a movie to Temporal half, selected "set default for all". Played the same movie agan and setting stuck. Went to a different file and deinterlace is back to auto, indeed temporal (half) is no option for this one.

Movies are in general not interlaced. So there is no need to deinterlace them at all - it harms instead. Did you by chance set "Deinterlace" to (forced) On?
Thanks, no it is set to auto. If it helps I can play everything and post a full log as previous but perhaps the fix above is still to appear in a next revision.
Note that video settings for every single file are stored in a database. If you have changed a video setting for a movie, those settings will replace defaults regardless of what settings you have changed.
I'm having the same issue. Originally I was using xbmcbuntu v12.0. All videos were ripped using makemkv, and encoded to mp4 using handbrake. Only recently discovered decomb setting in handbrake which cured the problem, but unfortunately a large amount of my tv shows were done without. Deinterlace to auto did nothing forcing it to on worked. Changing the deinterlace method was no help either.

Recently switched over to OE v3.0.6 and same issue except forcing deinterlace to on does not work at all. I have an AMD A6-3500 processor with asrock a75 motherboard, using hdmi on a Panasonic plasma. I've seen some recent chatter about xvba or drivers potentially at fault, but not really sure.

Just wondering if I've missed something in the forums, as I've searched from one end of Google to the other, or at least it feels like it. Considering reinstalling xbmcbuntu since that worked a little better. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated, fritsch seems to be deeply involved on both fourms with this issue . Can try to post a log later but I suspect it would be very similar to kees.
Try to post a debug log, perhaps it makes something visible.
Will do. Thanks.
Evening. Have been noting down some issues lately and took some time to run some logs. The essence is that auto/auto makes some movies stutter, and when I select auto/some method and save "default all movies" other movies that dont support that method revert to auto/auto. so neither solution works on all files. So the suggestion posted earlier to use deinterlace: auto and method: temporal/spatial (half) (aply to all) will fail on movies that dont support temporal/spatial (probably to do with file format but not an expert on that)

Preferably I'd like auto/auto to make all the right selections.

Specs and generic
Asrock ion 330
Openelec 3.0.6 (latest)
Every log I enable logging, reboot and perform the actions below
Deinterlace is on auto all the time

first movie: a DVD (ifo/vob files) that stutters when set to auto deiniterlace/auto method

-rebooted
-navigated through files to the dvd, pressed play
-in menu pressed once to play all
-sound runs fine, no interlacing visiblle but video stutters heavily (fast-slow-fast-slow etc). no cpu maxing out onscreen in debug stats.
-pressed stop, and played it again. this time going to settings and changing both these settings. Some methods provide stable picture but unsure which to choose and why auto/auto fails.
http://pastebin.com/T6rJp7Yt

second a movie also DVD (ifo/vob)
-rebooted
-navigated to movie pressed play
-menu navigation to play
-sound plays fine, same stutter as above (fast-slow-fast slow etc) as it is still on auto auto.
-set to aufo deinterlace / method: de-interlace (half), set as default for all
-plays fine then
-navigate to other movie (mkv), plays fine
-go to video options and I see auto/auto, not what I have just set? I get other options like temporal/spatial and the one I hade "deinterlace (half)" is missing
-I select temporal/spatial, set as default for all
-Go back to forst movie (Biba) which now stutters again
-Check settings: it reverted to auto/auto as heree temporal/spatial is unavailable
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=33747

So I guess that is the issue: auto/auto doesnt work for all files and forcing a deinterlace method on all files fails as not all files support the same deinterlacing methods making xbmc revert to auto/auto.
Weekend bump, please let me know if I am still missing something.
So you try to play a 50hz movie at a 60hz display. why don't you allow XBMC to change refresh rate?

Try to play the DVD at 50 hz and set scaling to bilinear. THis should work with auto/auto for deinterlacing.
Thanks. This seems to have fixed it. Never used this "adjust refresh" before so I was clearly looking in the wrong place as I saw the auto function influences this. Just not for everything.
Pages: 1 2