Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issue Renaming xbmcbuntu device
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a pretty noob question but I can't seem to rename the device I'm running xbmcbuntu on and it's showing up on my network as 'xbmcbuntu' rather than what I want to call it. I've tried changing it's name from inside XBMC to no avail. I also poked about the underlying Lubuntu OS but couldn't find anywhere to rename the computer. Can somebody help?
Welcome

edit the /etc/hostname and reboot

uNi
(2013-02-20, 17:21)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome

uNi

I've been trying to do that but it's not giving me the permission to do it. tried using sudo to give me root access but then it's saying 'command not found' Is there any other way I can open the terminal as the root user?
Either via SSH (wiki) or via the box itself press ctr+alt+F2 and login and see, given that you are being vague on what command is not found exactly or what your doing the best I can do is say google it, Its Linux so there you have it.

uNi
(2013-02-20, 19:01)kukondo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-20, 17:21)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome

uNi

I've been trying to do that but it's not giving me the permission to do it. tried using sudo to give me root access but then it's saying 'command not found' Is there any other way I can open the terminal as the root user?

It sounds like you need to install sudo. Can you ssh into the box as root? Also, try doing a "su -" then edit the /etc/hostname file.
Also try changing the netbios name in /etc/samba/smb.conf
(2013-02-20, 20:29)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Also try changing the netbios name in /etc/samba/smb.conf

That did the trick I think! Thanks for your help.