Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Custom Music Nodes / music navigation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I haven been trying to set up xbmc primarily for using it for my large music collection perfectly tagged and organized with MediaMonkey. Unfortunately it seems to me that the primary focus of xbmc and most users is movies, since the support for music library navigation seems low compared to video. I hope you might be able to help me and convince me to continue xbmc :-)

Due to the large amount and diversity of my music the navigation is difficult. I would like to use the library/database mode. Unfortunately, the preset categories (=tiles or sub-nodes) cannot be changed; the album or track nodes are almost useless for displaying/navigating thousands of songs.

My music folder on my NAS:

\pop
\various artists
\single tracks
\albums
\a
\Artist A\Album 1\
\b
\c
\classical
\jazz
\soundtrack
\exotic & weird stuff

In Mediamonkey (and various other DLNA servers) I can set up filters or filter nodes that give me a navigation tree the way I want it, i.e. on the top level I can select "All music", Pop, Classical, Jazz, Audiobooks, Soundtracks, filtering out unwanted types of music (by path or genre or whatever). In the Pop or Classical submenu I then have all the tiles/nodes xbmc offers, i.e. Artist, Album, Genre and so on. Also, I might be able to create submenus/nodes grouping by letter ("A-B", "C-D", ...).

The very least (and easiest way for xbmc development) would be to make CUSTOM VIDEO NODES available to music library. Why is this not the case so far?! That's really disturbing,

I tried what is described in the forum "HOW-TO customize the home menu with custom categories", but it will only give me a playlist. That might work for a couple of videos, but not thousands of songs. I dont' want to see a playlist as a result, but all music categories/nodes.

I also tried what is described in the wiki "HOW-TO:Edit the home screen skin files" / "3 How to add a new button to the Menu" but it will only work in file mode, i.e. leading to the "Jazz" path, for example; doesn't help in library mode.

Any help?! Thanks a lot.
As an alternative: it is not possible to have more than one music database at the same time, or to link different profiles to different datbases, is it?
- navigating a large music collection, anyone?
- custom music nodes - planned??
- customize tree navigation, as in Twonky or almost any other media center/serverHuh
+1 for custom music nodes

Would be nice to have decades instead of individual years.
+1 for this. Custom nodes for video is a great feature. I actually created full separated libraries for movies and cartoons that also appears in xbmc as tvshow or movies.
There is someone working on it?
I think the big missing part is the grouping in the music part that is almost non existent:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Sma...s#Grouping