Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AMD Radeon HD 6870 HDMI card - what supported audio formats should I be seeing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an odd question. I am considering using one of my PCs as a replacement XBMC servers (it's an old Dell Optiplex 755, so it's a Core 2 CPU. But it doesn't have an HDMI card, so I thought to purchase the same one I use in my desktop (i.e., not XBMC) machine, but I wanted to be sure it would work as I want it to, in XBMC . I would want to be able to play DTS-MA and/or TrueHD discs or files through XBMC. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6870 video card (I don't use HDMI with it, I use the DisplayPort for video with my desktop monitor).

So I hooked up an HDMI TV to my desktop PC (a custom built PC, not a Dell), and went to check the supported formats, under "Sound", "Playback", properties of the HDMI entry. And all I see is "Dolby Digital".

Shouldn't I see something more than just that single format? The box for the card says that it has DTS-MA HD and TrueHD support. So why am I not seeing that listed?

I am running Win 7 Pro x64; motherboard is GigaByte Z68X9-UDP3P. I have the latest AMD drivers.There is HDMI on the motherboard, but I am not using it.

Am I just mistaken, and the HD 6800 wouldn't be a good choice for XBMC? What would be a good video card to use in that Dell machine, to have all those formats supported, so I could use it as an XBMC device?

Thanks
Followup: Turns out I do have RealTek audio drivers installed. However, I don't want to uninstall those drivers from this PC. So I'm *guessing* that having them installed is why I am not seeing any other supported formats? I'd hate to buy an HDMI card, and not be able to use the HD audio with it.
All elements of the chain have to support HD Audio for them to show as supported formats. As your TV isn't capable they won't show.

To access these you will have to pass from your graphic card to a capable AV receiver or Home Theatre system, by HDMI and then by HDMI to your television.
(2013-02-23, 10:33)steelman1991 Wrote: [ -> ]All elements of the chain have to support HD Audio for them to show as supported formats. As your TV isn't capable they won't show.

To access these you will have to pass from your graphic card to a capable AV receiver or Home Theatre system, by HDMI and then by HDMI to your television.

I thought so. Well, it's too much trouble to disconnect everything and move it across the house to test. I know the receiver supports it, and the HDMI card says it supports it, so that should make that HDMI card a Good Candidate to use for XBMC, when used with that receiver. (an Onkyo TX-NR509). Would that be correct?

(the TV is a Samsung 46in C630 model) Since the sound will be coming from my receiver, and not the TV, it's capabilities don't enter into it, correct? I don't think I've ever seen a TV listed as supporting DTS-HD, etc.

Just trying to decide which HDMI card to use. Since I already have this one model in use in other computers, I thought I would just stay with it. I might be able to get something cheaper, but it might be better to stick with something I know.