Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Saving movie covers/fanart/banners OUTSIDE of XBMC settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love XBMC and it's neat how I can easily download covers and such, but they get stored in the XBMC library somewhere. This means that when I have hard drive problems or change hard drives or in some cases, or if I reorganize my library, the information is lost and I have to start over.

I could manually copy it, but it would be so much easier if I could just direct XBMC to take the selected cover or fanart and place it in the folder with the given movie or TV show (like when I make them manually). That way, no matter what happens, my chosen art settings will be preserved and don't have to be redone.

For example:

I have Harry_Potter.mp4. Let's say that I haven't already created a Harry_Potter.tbn and Harry_Potter-fanart.jpg file. I want to be able to scrape the file, auto-download the nfo and then choose an online thumb and fanart, but have those selected files stored with the movie instead of in the XBMC settings folder.
Export Library
(2013-02-23, 06:29)saitoh183 Wrote: [ -> ]Export Library

That's helpful for part of my problem, but when I move files around (say I have a better organization or the file names change, or I replace it with the blu-ray edition) the library again becomes useless and I have to start from scratch. This is especially a problem when I move entire groups of movies into a subfolder. For example, what if I move Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and all related videos into a folder called "Epic Fantasy"?

Now I have to redo each one that I don't already have a dedicated tbn and fanart file for.
There is option to export library to the individual movie folders. This way the posters, thumb and nfo will always be in the movie folder which you can carry around. This is also very useful if you rename the drive letter or copy to another hdd.
(2013-02-23, 17:16)baijuxavior Wrote: [ -> ]There is option to export library to the individual movie folders. This way the posters, thumb and nfo will always be in the movie folder which you can carry around. This is also very useful if you rename the drive letter or copy to another hdd.

That sounds EXACTLY like what I'm looking for. Let me go check it out!
Export to the movie folder sounds like an very interesting feature. But i´ve one question :
If i want to deinstall XBMC, clean every thing up and start from scratch (when moving from eden to frodo for example), will XBMC first check the movie folder for the exported files to import before scraping new info? Or do i have to import them manually from each movie folder ?
It would be great, if we could directly store the scraped info in the movie folder and read them (the library) from there, without the need of copying everything to the userdata folder...like the extrafanart and extrathumbs get stored when using aeon nox skin...
Perfect! Thank you so much!
(2013-02-23, 18:35)bimme Wrote: [ -> ]Export to the movie folder sounds like an very interesting feature. But i´ve one question :
If i want to deinstall XBMC, clean every thing up and start from scratch (when moving from eden to frodo for example), will XBMC first check the movie folder for the exported files to import before scraping new info? Or do i have to import them manually from each movie folder ?
It would be great, if we could directly store the scraped info in the movie folder and read them (the library) from there, without the need of copying everything to the userdata folder...like the extrafanart and extrathumbs get stored when using aeon nox skin...

XBMC always uses local files before scraping. If you have a nfo file, your poster and and fanart, it will pick them up during the scan
that´s great...
thx