Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I access my HTPC content via my android phone via 4g?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to be able to access my content remotely(i.e. when I'm not connected to my network). Is this even possible? It took me a while, but I finally was able to get my content within our network(1080p video lags, but not worried about those)....
You could do it with a Slingbox.
I actually have a slingbox(original one), but I'm not sure how I would be able to access it. I thought I would be able to do it with xbmc web service, but when I access it, it doesn't seem to do anything.
Look for a slingbox app in the play store.
(2013-02-25, 19:55)androidawg Wrote: [ -> ]Look for a slingbox app in the play store.

The app normally costs $30 but is currently on sale for half price, $15.
I'm confused....Can the slingbox be used to "sling" my ripped content? I have my movies/Tv shows archive on my PC....I didn't realize that the slingbox could access any of that....
(2013-02-25, 21:35)maseline_98 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm confused....Can the slingbox be used to "sling" my ripped content? I have my movies/Tv shows archive on my PC....I didn't realize that the slingbox could access any of that....

I am skeptical that a Slingbox could sling your ripped content from your fileserver to your phone. A Plex server could. Or Orb. Or Subsonic. A Slingbox could only do that if you had a device that would create/output the video content (which would have to be controllable from a Slingbox through IR). Unless they've come up with a new model of Slingbox since I bought mine, a Slingbox just accepts video input (e.g. by HDMI, Component Video, S-Video or Composite Video) and then re-processes that signal to put it at the resolution that your bandwidth from the Slingbox-to-Cloud and bandwidth from the Cloud-to-YourAndroidPhone (in this case) can handle. It can take a signal from your cable tuner, satellite tuner or anything else which outputs video and is controllable by IR, but it can't just start reading files on your fileserver. At least, my Slingbox sure can't. In theory you could use that with some sort of XBMC box, but that seems like a kludgy solution.

Check out Plex, Orb and Subsonic. I'm not a big fan of any of them, but that sure seems like a lot easier solution than trying to sling it. But somone else may have a better idea.

Slingbox 350
Slingbox 500.