Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey
it is possible to implement a feature to quit an additional program when Steam starts? I'm using Ambibox for my DIY Ambilight, normally it terminates when XBMC is being shut down, but when the Steam plugin shuts down XBMC, Ambibox still runs. This results in an error when XBMC is being started after Steam quits, so I manually have to exit Ambibox, first.

Regards and thanks for your great plugin.
ah sorry, just had to open my eyes:
"run a script before steam" Big Grin
Hi Guys,

This add-on is awesome!

Setup was a breeze!

I have had one problem though......

I am running an Intel NUC i3 with 8GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD. I have Windows 8.1 Installed and have set XBMC to launch as a shell (in other words it loads straight into XBMC.) I have Netflix installed on my XBMC that uses a Chrome Launcher add on and works great. (This information will be valid in a sec.)

I have now installed the Steam Launcher addon and it works.........However when the Steam Big Picture loads it tries to Login, But comes up with Unable to Find a Network - Do you want to login offline.......

Can anyone help me with this? I cant see why XBMC and Netflix are able to use the network fine but the Steam Big Picture is unable to?

Thanks in Advance.

$tocK
Maybe steam is down... Can you log in with big picture mode when not launched via the add-on?
I can log in to Steam when i exit xbmc and run explorer.exe to get back to the normal windows user interface.

Thats why i am confused! haha.
Hmmm strange, the add-on doesn't do anything to the network... What if you run steam while xbmc is the shell, without explorer running? Ctrl + shift + ESC to bring up task manager and from there you can run programs - run cmd.exe to open a terminal, navigate to the steam install folder and run BPM with "steam.exe -bigpicture" (without the quotes)
I will try this when i get home from work and let you know.

Hopefully this fixes it.

thanks for you help.
Some other things spring to mind that could help track down the issue - when you get the network error from steam is your network connected, ie can you still use netflix/chrome (try via ctrl+shift+esc))? What happens if you set xbmc to minimize instead of quit via the addons settings? And try enabbling (or disabling) the beta on the Steam client (In steams system settings from memory).

Also can you post your exact setup so I can try to reproduce on a win 8.1 machine - xbmc/kodi version, steam-launcher version, how you have set up xbmc as the shell etc...
Hi teeedubb,

I believe i used this how-to, to make xbmc launch only http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-run-boot-xb...windows-8/

Latest stable XBMC, not Kodi.

Latest Steam Launcher as of yesterday.

hope this helps.

let me know if you need more information.

I will try the things you have listed once i get home. still at bloody work!

regards,
Hi teeedubb,

Last night i turned on the nuc and loaded steam.....It worked! must have just been a problem on that day.

It works perfectly. I didn't have to change any settings. I managed to Stream Dirt 3 to my Nuc last night.

I did find that the sound was a little weird and when exiting the game it Streamed the Nuc screen back to the Host PC.........Confusing i know.

Other then that im happy! Hopefully the bugs get ironed out in the future, but for know i have an awesome HTPC!

thanks for your help.

Regards,
Hi thanks for the nice addon. It's been working well for me for a while. I made some changes with my setup and now I've run into some problems. I decided to switch from using the eventghost cec plugin to using the builtin cec support with kodi. It would be nice if the addon or a script gave the option to disable the cec adapter and then re-enable it when returning to xbmc, because when kodi closes, I have it set to shut off my tv & amp. Also it would be nice if the addon could disable the power saving timer so if kodi stays running while in steam the power saving timer won't shut everything off. Anyone know of a way to perform these functions with a script? Or perhaps making these options available within the addon? Thanks!
You could use a json-rpc request via the pre/post steam scripts to disable the idle timer and quite possibly hdmi-cec controls. I'm not sure about the exact json strings, but you can probably get some more info asking about it on these forums. You could also not quit xbmc and use pre/post steam scripts to suspend the xbmc process:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1758173
I will give those suggestions a try and report back what I come up with to work it out. Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like the suggestion from your link would be the easiest for me. I may get around to the more complicated way of using json. Thanks!
Works great, thanks!
hi, i really like this addon, thank you.

I would like to add a feature, i looked in the addons files, i think that the main script is the.vbs (i'm under windows 7) but i don't find how to modify it.

What i want to do :
I use a vpn connection for streaming things (youtube, etc) but i must disable my vpn connection to play many games in steam that block my account when my ip change, in xbmc i used a simple bat file to connect/disconnect my vpn connection (and i launch it with "advanced launcher").

I'm quite sure that there is a way to call this bat file as soon as i call the steam launcher addon and disconnect my vpn.
But i don't find where in the vbs script i could do this.

Could you help me?

EDIT : ok i find it myself, i had to edit the autohotkey script, add one line to run a bat file and steam. exe, then compile it.
It's great that you let the source script in the folder of scripts!