Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Your system sounds screwed - I don't see how the guide could have caused the issues you describe, and I've followed these guides several times. With so many problems and vague descriptions all I can recommend is to do a backup and start over with a fresh install of kodibuntu and follow the guide for it.

For the stuttering sound - did you configure the asoundrc files for your system? Try removing the asoundrc files to see if that helps
I also came to the conclusion that something is corrupt.

The system was originally Gotham 13.0 and have been upgraded everytime there was a new version.

A new HTPC is comming in a few days (hopefully) and i'll try to get steam launcher running again Smile

Thanks so much for your help.
Hi,

just wanted to say thanks for the plugin. I use KodiBuntu, so it's not running a window manager, here's how I got steam to work:

Dependencies:
Code:
apt-get install pekwm wmctrl

Use a pre and a post script:

pre-steam.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

pekwm &
pkill -STOP kodi.bin
wmctrl -r Kodi -b toggle,shaded

post-steam.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

pkill pekwm
wmctrl -r Kodi -b toggle,shaded
pkill -CONT kodi.bin

And finally you have to check the "Do not check for wmctrl" because otherwise the plugin won't run because there is no window manager (yet).

For completeness' sake, when I started steam for the first time the fonts were tiny and absolutely unreadable on my projector. I fixed that by editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and add -dpi 96 to the end of xserver-command:
Code:
xserver-command=/usr/bin/X -bs -nolisten tcp -dpi 96

Hope this helps someone!
For some reason it won't work on my Nvidia Shield, running android 4.4.2. And I can't find any clear directions online. Can anyone give me some instructions on how to install? Also should I have a fresh install?

P.S. I am a bit of a Android noob.Confused
@squisher nice, thanks for sharing. I havent had time to test it out, but I have a question - When returning to the desktop via steam bpm, does steam stay unning in the background?

@EtheMan02 what doesnt work? Do you get any error messages? A link to instructions on how to install addons manually is in the first post.
(2015-02-10, 09:19)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]@squisher nice, thanks for sharing. I havent had time to test it out, but I have a question - When returning to the desktop via steam bpm, does steam stay unning in the background?

I did, while it's easier/quicker to setup than OpenBox (although it's basically copy&paste all the way), I do have some issues. Maybe it needs further tweaking, or I'm doing something wrong. Kodi keeps running in the background, sometimes it pops to the foreground and there's no way to return to Steam other than rebooting and trying again (when there's a steamclient update, for instance).

And, but maybe that's a general thing, when starting Steam for the first time, you need to setup your account. This is not possible with this setup, because it swiches back to Kodi. Setup steam in a Lubuntu session first.

Lastly, but this has nothing to do with either your guide or this way of setting up Steam. I setup up steam in a hurry, so instead of the wget "etc" command, I just did a sudo apt-get install steam. This works, it even installed all dependencies, but I couldn't find the location of steam afterwards. It wasn't in /usr/lib/steam, so the plugin failed to launch. What's the difference in installing it via dpkg -i steam.deb?
hello

here some photos i made

wen i start kodi this is the options that i have
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2u5waa...sp=sharing

Options on bmp

wen i log off steam my options in audio comes like this and no sound in kodi

i dont have sound with that options to have sound only in bmp (but not in games) i have tho change the Quit kodi=no
First photo you have no default audio device - have you setup a ~/.asoundrc file?

Last photo pulseaudio is still running.
(2015-02-10, 09:19)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]@EtheMan02 what doesnt work? Do you get any error messages? A link to instructions on how to install addons manually is in the first post.

So whenever I start the program it says working then nothing ever happens. Where should I have Steam installed to?
@EtheMan02 Have you installed Steam from the Play Store?

@Raytestrak you would have to set the addon to not quit Kodi. I never knew you could install Steam via apt-get, but there are probably packaging differences, Id say mostly cosmetic, as Stem updates and /usr/binsteam is a script that launches steam in your home dir. You can find where steam command is installed to with the command: which steam
(2015-02-10, 20:18)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]First photo you have no default audio device - have you setup a ~/.asoundrc file?

Last photo pulseaudio is still running.

hi teeedubb

i forgot the asoundrc

now i have put this one
Quote:# --auto-generated-- by /etc/kodi/live.d/01-make-asoundrc.sh
AUTOUPDATE=True # change this to disable updating of this file
pcm.!default {
type plug;
slave.pcm "hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3";
}
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 7
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 7
}

is this correct my aplay -l give this
Quote:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

i dont have make the test not in home tonnight i will try, but if pulse audio keeps runing wow do i kill??, remove the post-steam.sh?

tanks for your help
Rename the .asoundrc, make sure pulse isnt running with

killall -9 pulseaudio

select the correct audio device in kodi and reboot - do you have a 'default' audio device in kodi now?
(2015-02-11, 08:07)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]@EtheMan02 Have you installed Steam from the Play Store?

No. I downloaded it from the Steam website thinking I needed to put it in the add-on folder. I know the one from the Play Store is just for messaging. Can I just have an explanation on how to install it in Layman's Terms?
Thanks
(2015-02-11, 11:59)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Rename the .asoundrc, make sure pulse isnt running with

killall -9 pulseaudio

select the correct audio device in kodi and reboot - do you have a 'default' audio device in kodi now?

Now i have a default audio but dont give sound. but if i start bpm and out again the pulse audio dont turn off
@etheman that's all there is for android - the steam app from the play store.

@BySimba sounds like the pre post scripts aren't running - are you sure you made them executable? Have you edited the pulseaudio config? If you run them via ssh do they work?