Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-09-21, 04:25)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:ERROR: A window manager is NOT running - unless you are using the SteamOS compositor Steam BPM needs a windows manager. If you are using the SteamOS compositor disable the addon option "Check for program wmctrl"

Theres no window manager running which causes problems with steam bpm. Theres more info regarding this in the first post.

Thanks for Reply, but i tried EVERYTHING, didn't get it working. Anyway im tired of it, and i destroyed my Kodi install and needed to rebuild it twice.

I wait until this plugin is "plug and play" installable.

Hope this will be soon.

Thanks anyway
(2016-11-15, 15:14)nissl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-21, 04:25)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:ERROR: A window manager is NOT running - unless you are using the SteamOS compositor Steam BPM needs a windows manager. If you are using the SteamOS compositor disable the addon option "Check for program wmctrl"

Theres no window manager running which causes problems with steam bpm. Theres more info regarding this in the first post.

Thanks for Reply, but i tried EVERYTHING, didn't get it working. Anyway im tired of it, and i destroyed my Kodi install and needed to rebuild it twice.

I wait until this plugin is "plug and play" installable.

Hope this will be soon.

Thanks anyway

Well, you'll be waiting along time because no amount of extra code in the add-on will change the fact that steam requires a window manager and that you're unable to configure your system to accommodate that.
Whenever I quit a game, it brings me to my KODI desktop but with steam still running, so I have to relaunch your Steam addin to get back to bigpicture so I can load a different game. Is there a way to quit games and still have steam be in the foreground?
Kodi will restart if the steam bpm windows is closed or minimised, sounds like the latter is happening. Try launching bpm with out kodi running and see if steam bpm is minimised after launching a game.
When I configure Steam to quit Kodi when launching, then play a game, and then quit, I come back to a black screen with my mouse cursor.
Also, for anyone running Nvidia HDMI 5.1 with pulse, I finally got some settings that worked well with Kodi and Steam withoutany weird crackling noise.

# sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Change the following lines.

# realtime-priority = 9 ; default 5
# enable-remixing = yes ; default no
# resample-method = src-sinc-best-quality ; default speex-float-1
# default-sample-format = float32ne ; default s16le
# default-sample-channels = 5 ; it might be 6 for you, but 5 worked for my Nvidia. default 2
# default-fragments = 2 ; default 4
# default-fragment-size-msec = 4 ; default 25

# sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

Update the below line with tsched=0:

# load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0

EDIT: I installed the actual drivers from NVidia's site instead (including 32bit libraries) and they seem a lot better with the audio issues.

sudo service lightdm stop
sudo init 3
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.26.run
Oh I thought you were using windows. Can you try launching steam bpm without kodi running whatsoever and see if the issue persists? (ie launch it from the desktop/terminal, not kodi)
Ok, I launched Steam from Ubuntu's desktop, ran a game, then quit, and it went back to the desktop with Steam BPM minimized.
So its not a issue with the addon but steam itself. Try upgrding to the steam beta, trying a different desktop environment and/or searching steam github/forum pages to resolve it.
Seems to consistently minimize itself using beta, normal, and different desktops in Ubuntu Sad
A few months ago someone asked how to launch the W10 Store version of Kodi from command line.

Just do a batch file that contains:

explorer kodi:

and it will launch. That being said I haven't been able to get any of my Kodi addons that require launching external apps to work in the Store version. I'm not sure if that's because apps get confused by the home folder redirect, or if there's something else going on. (To Kodi itself, it thinks it's operating in C:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\ ... and to any process outside of Kodi, it's shown in its real location at C:\users\name\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi...\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\ )

Unfortunately this means that most of my frequently used addons (Steam, Hyper Launcher, Advanced Launcher which I use to launch UWP Netflix and UWP Xbox app) simply don't work in the UWP version. A tiny bit frustrating because I would otherwise love auto-update across all 3 of my Kodi devices, which the store would provide.
(2016-12-17, 17:25)vampyrex13 Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to consistently minimize itself using beta, normal, and different desktops in Ubuntu Sad

Check the steam console output for some possible clues. Also you could post a issue on the steam for linux github tracker.

(2016-12-17, 20:14)jhoff81 Wrote: [ -> ]A few months ago someone asked how to launch the W10 Store version of Kodi from command line.

Just do a batch file that contains:

explorer kodi:

and it will launch. That being said I haven't been able to get any of my Kodi addons that require launching external apps to work in the Store version. I'm not sure if that's because apps get confused by the home folder redirect, or if there's something else going on. (To Kodi itself, it thinks it's operating in C:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\ ... and to any process outside of Kodi, it's shown in its real location at C:\users\name\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi...\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\ )

Unfortunately this means that most of my frequently used addons (Steam, Hyper Launcher, Advanced Launcher which I use to launch UWP Netflix and UWP Xbox app) simply don't work in the UWP version. A tiny bit frustrating because I would otherwise love auto-update across all 3 of my Kodi devices, which the store would provide.

That sounds like a bug in kodi uwp - steam launcher will work if kodi is used in portable mode (ie user data is stored in a non default directory) because it uses the paths that kodi translates for python addons, not hardcoded paths (as does HL and AL). You could also try a junction link from the uwp userdata path to the non store userdata path
hey there, bit of a request coming but I want to start by letting you know that I absolutely LOVE this addon. I've been using it since initial release without many problems and absolutely adore it. It's perfect for my HTPC with steam installed to let me go between media and games seamlessly. I really, truly appreciate it.

...And now for the reason I'm here; sorry you don't get enough praise without the requests... I'd really love the function of minimizing kodi to be an option rather than a requirement, and to run scripts after closing kodi rather than before. Here's what I've been trying to produce:

Sometimes I'd like to play a game with Picture-In-Picture of a video or live TV, so I created an autohotkey script that will move kodi to a certain size and x/y coords on my screen, hide the title bar, and force the window to be always on top. After a good amount of effort it works brilliantly and I'm able to use a hotkey to force Kodi to a predetermined windowed section of my screen and have it on top, and I can play my game below it while still being able to see the live TV video.

I originally created this along with a bat script to run when launching Steam via kodi, but ended up with 2 small issues with the addon that I did not expect:
1. the script is ran prior to Kodi actually closing. Not a big deal, it just means if I do choose to quit kodi that it goes out of full screen and re-sizes before being closed and steam opens. Then when i close steam I'm brought back to kodi in this windowed size. So it would be nice if the script was ran after closing kodi, so that in my case it would recognize kodi.exe was not running and would not follow-through with the script.
2. if I do choose not to close kodi, it runs my script and then immediately minimizes kodi, so I am forced to minimize big picture and bring Kodi back to the forefront before I can get into my game if I would like the PIP feature.

both issues are very small and can be worked around, but I wanted to bring it to your attention in hopes of an enhancement in the future that may add the option to not minimize kodi if left open and to run the script after kodi was quit rather than prior, if possible.

Again, thank you so much for the wonderful addon. It is a staple of multiple kodi installments I have around the house and it has made everything on my HTPCs incredibly more seamless than they otherwise would be. I am an enormous fan- Thank you.
I am having the same issues as others with the UWP Krypton version of Kodi working with Steam Launcher.

As others have stated, the actual location of the UWP Kodi is deep within the users appdata folder without an .exe.

If we could find a way for Steam Launcher to read the UWP folder like it would the normal Program Files path this must have add-on would be back to working on Krypton!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe is where Steam Launcher is trying to find Kodi.

C:\Users\Dude\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi is the location of the UWP version of Kodi.

Is there a way anyone can make this work? I am happy to put commands in the settings if anyone has a fix,

Thanks everyone!