Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I run Kodi as my GUI instead of explorer and have used steam launcher for around 7 years. In my case since the installation of the new Steam UI, Steam Launcher starts Steam in the background and does not close Kodi (Leia - Steam launcher version 3.4.1).  I have even tried the force close option, and this also does not work.  Instead of closing Kodi, the Kodi screen just blinks, as if it quickly loses then regains focus.
(2022-12-18, 02:42)lishdude Wrote: [ -> ]I run Kodi as my GUI instead of explorer and have used steam launcher for around 7 years. In my case since the installation of the new Steam UI, Steam Launcher starts Steam in the background and does not close Kodi (Leia - Steam launcher version 3.4.1).  I have even tried the force close option, and this also does not work.  Instead of closing Kodi, the Kodi screen just blinks, as if it quickly loses then regains focus.
Not sure which OS you are running with but I had the same issue since forever. What helped in that regard was to create a small script which kills Kodi and set it as the "Run before Steam" script.  Mine, running in Ubuntu, looks like this:
Quote:#!/bin/bash
kodi-send --action="Quit"
kodi-send is part of the kodi-eventclients-kodi-send package in ubuntu.
For those that have the same problem that the new big picture mode is not working with Kodi here is the lines you can change to revert back to the old big picture interface under Linux:

Go to .kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts/ in your user home. There are two .sh files to change.

In the file steam-launch.sh you change line 82 to :

Code:
   "$1" -oldbigpicture &

In the file steam-launcher.sh you change line 101 to:

Code:
        "$1" "$7" -oldbigpicture &

That should load Steam with the old interface, at least until that is removed for good in the future

Edit: Aaaand the addon is broken again with v20
Hi,

Ill look into the issue with the new UI and also update the addon for Kodi v20 as time permits.
Cool! Thanks for not letting this great addon die  Cool
Thanks to Kalacione, a fix for Kodi 20 has been submitted and merged on GitHub. For the meantime it will require manual install.
(2023-02-01, 23:09)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to Kalacione, a fix for Kodi 20 has been submitted and merged on GitHub. For the meantime it will require manual install.

Hello, please tell me how to do this in version 20, I can’t start the launcher, it crashes.
(2023-02-02, 18:41)Veron36 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-02-01, 23:09)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to Kalacione, a fix for Kodi 20 has been submitted and merged on GitHub. For the meantime it will require manual install.

Hello, please tell me how to do this in version 20, I can’t start the launcher, it crashes.
I figured it out and changed the code, thank you very much!) It works!
Created an issue about the new Steam changes back in October https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm.../issues/31.

Haven't heard anything since so I created a patch that works for me in Big Picture on Windows 11. It may not work for everyone, but I also updated the README so that others may have an easier time fixing any remaining issues they have. https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...g?expand=1
3.6.0 pushed to my repo
Fix for Kodi 20 - Thanks Kalacione!

Note you probably need to manually update my repo if you want automatic updates as that broke with kodi 20 too
(2023-02-20, 05:58)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]3.6.0 pushed to my repo
Fix for Kodi 20 - Thanks Kalacione!

Note you probably need to manually update my repo if you want automatic updates as that broke with kodi 20 too

This can't seem to shutdown Kodi correctly anymore.  When I look at the logs, I see things like 'Requested Setting (QuitXbmc) was not found' and such.  I is it possible that the call to shut down Xbmc in v20 has changed?
Looks like it has

https://kodi.wiki/view/List_of_built-in_functions

Can you edit main.py in the add-on directory and replace all instances of "QuitXbmc" with "Quit" and let me know how it goes?

Actually it still works, its just has to do with the script not detecting the new bpm ui
(2023-02-12, 00:47)-Glass- Wrote: [ -> ]Created an issue about the new Steam changes back in October https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm.../issues/31.

Haven't heard anything since so I created a patch that works for me in Big Picture on Windows 11. It may not work for everyone, but I also updated the README so that others may have an easier time fixing any remaining issues they have. https://github.com/teeedubb/teeedubb-xbm...g?expand=1

Thank you for this! sadly, it didn't work for me in Windows 10. Kodi is still not being closed/killed and the "steam-launcher" script keeps running even after closing Steam. But I think it just needs small tweaks to make it work also on Windows 10, so we are closer.
(2023-02-21, 06:01)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it still works, its just has to do with the script not detecting the new bpm ui
Is there a change to the script I should make to test?  Or update from repo?  Unless I'm doing something wrong I only see 3.6.0 up there still.
I started looking at it last night, but I spent most of my time getting familiar with the changes to BPM and how that impacts the add-on. The quit function currently in place works when launching the old BPM which tells me that function hasn't changed. The reason it's not closing is because the new BPM window name has changed, so the add-on doesn't detect steam opening, so it never gets to the point of quitting Kodi.

As a temporary half work around you can add

-oldbigpicture

To the "parameters to pass to steam" option in the add-on to bring back the old BPM and get the add-ons half working again. Note this only works when launching the add-on when steam is not running at all... If it's running it will launch the new BPM and you get the problem described above.

@-Glass- has posted some code which will help getting the add-on working with new BPM, but I need to think about if I want to add support for both versions of the BPM ui. I know the steam documentation says old BPM will be removed in the future, but we're talking about valve-time here. Also, after a quick play around with the new interface, I think I prefer the old one.