Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC For Office Use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've just gotten XBMC working on a Raspberry Pi at home and I love it, I've yet to properly set up my media sources and all that but in general the experience so far has been very positive.

At work we recently expanded and now have four rooms with new LED TVs in them (reception, board room, training room, meeting room). I had the bright idea of getting a raspberry pi for all four of them, linked to a networked hard drive with all our media on it.

The boss is keen on the idea so here I am. I have XBMC installed on my Mac at work for testing. Here's what I'd like to get to:

- a very minimalistic GUI
- strip most menu options out (leaving just Pictures and Videos), and display only an RSS feed, time and perhaps basic weather on the home screen
- customise as many aspects of the GUI as possible to match our corporate colours and logos
- within Pictures and Videos, have folders for each of our suppliers, displaying with a custom background and/or logo when each is selected
- be able to specify our own associated info for each video (background image, poster/DVD image, description, etc) as our content will not be on scrapable (they're all in-house developed demo and training videos, and wouldn't be on themoviedb or IMDB, or anything like that)

The only difference between them will be the reception TV, on which we'd like to specify a list of movies or images to play on endless repeat as soon as it turns on. Images AND videos mixed up would be great.

If anyone has had the above requirements or has set up XBMC for use in an office environment, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers Smile
If you create nfo and fanart files for your inhouse media you will be able to scrape them.

Reducing your menu options will involve some theme hacking or finding a very customisable theme.
I dont know if the PI is able to run Aeon Nox but it would be pretty easy to change the colors and backgrounds without creating a new skin.

Activate kiosk mode and remove everything from the main menu but the media (you can use smartplaylists as menu items)

The reception TV is no problem you can set a playlist to start playing on boot and just activate repeat and maybe random.

And the actual skin wouldnt matter because you probably never see the gui anyway.
Sounds good. Aeon Nox certainly is very customizable. I'd actually like to stick with Confluence as it's very quick, but I can't find a Kiosk mode in it, so that might be out of the question.

I figured with the reception TV I could buy one of those power boards that detects how much current the TV is drawing, and switches the secondary power outlets on and off accordingly, so that when someone uses the remote to turn on the TV it will power up the Pi, and the playlist will start...so basically one button push each morning.
oh you wouldn't like to use a heavy skin like Aeon Nox on the pi. Best bet is to adjust confluence to your needs. It's not hard at all to modify the XML files to your needs. And you can hide all menu items except for the ones you like to keep. To get rid of the "system" menu item, simply create a restricted profile (IIRC, which is a good idea anyways) and password protect the master profile.
(2013-03-12, 10:20)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]oh you wouldn't like to use a heavy skin like Aeon Nox on the pi. Best bet is to adjust confluence to your needs. It's not hard at all to modify the XML files to your needs. And you can hide all menu items except for the ones you like to keep. To get rid of the "system" menu item, simply create a restricted profile (IIRC, which is a good idea anyways) and password protect the master profile.

OK...I do some coding experience so I'll give it a shot. I guess a snappy interface is more important, we don't want video stuttering or the GUI lagging while showing customers something Smile
Try confluence mod... its confluence-y and very customisable via xbmcs menus.